Adrienne's Red Sea Max C-250

Adrienne

What is this purple thing likely to be? I hadn't noticed it until today but it is in some of the other pics I posted. It was not there last weekend when I moved the rock around.

Readings all remain consistent with the exception of the tank temp which is 26.6. Skimmer has calmed right down so I have taken the nozzle off the top of it and will raise the gate a little.

Last edited:

Adrienne

I have been looking at Automatic Top Up systems for this tank however I have struck an issue in that because I have a chiller already in the cabinet there is no way in the remaining half to put tubing through the rear of the cabinet. Therefore I assume that I would have to drill the right hand side which is something I really don't care to or have the ability to do. Has anyone adapted their cabinet to accommodate both?

Adrienne

Thanks for the pic!

Looks like a hole will be drilled then - I was a wee bit reluctant to put a hole in the new cabinet. Are you also using the Tunze 3155 or did you DIY yours? I'm off to see if one can be obtained from a shop here or if I need to bring one in.
What size is the water barrel you are using? They all seem to be the same shape. Is it one especially for this purpose?

Pat24601

I don't have a chiller, so I understand better, why is a hole needed?

Wait, I have two giant holes in the back of both the left and right side of my cabinet. It looks like you don't? Weird. I thought we had the same model.

2ikb4me.jpg

Also,you can see organizational differences between Neil and I. :). I blame my twin boys. Out of sight, out of mind.

neildradford

PREMIUM
That's weird you have two big holes at the back. I bought my top up unit from a company called reefloat www.reefloat.com
It's 25L, I have the sensor in the left hand compartment, where the heater usually is. I took that out as my chiller also heats. May put it back in for back-up.

Pat24601

I wonder if Red Sea shipped mine with two left sides and my LFS just put it together that way. They had it assembled as a demo to help sell it. I guess that's OK....

Adrienne

So do I, I might have to contact our local person from Red Sea and ask why some have two and some only one although I do not intend to pull everything apart for a second hole in the back.

Did a 20% water change on the tank today and added carbon, purigen and siliphos to the media rack. Off to the LFS tomorrow to see what they have that may be suitable. Not a huge stock there as no shipment has arrived recently. Visited a marine only shop today but the tanks look dreadful and most of the corals have this deep red/purple bubble stuff on them, I think its some sort of algae?

Adrienne

Went to the shop this morning and got a small amount of live rock, mostly rubble with critters in it hopefully, corraline algae bits and a small coral (forgotten its name already, I will need to check). At the moment they are still in the bag - will post a photo once they are in the tank.

Pat24601

Went to the shop this morning and got a small amount of live rock, mostly rubble with critters in it hopefully, corraline algae bits and a small coral (forgotten its name already, I will need to check). At the moment they are still in the bag - will post a photo once they are in the tank.

I look forward to seeing it. Sounds like the marine only shop you visited was pretty dreadful!

Adrienne

Full tank shot

My first coral - I still need to find out what its called

This one I was told that some people like it, others hate it because when its established its hard to get rid of. I like it.

Close up of some of the coraline pieces.

Adrienne

Nope, only one hole in mine. I looked at the old style today - 2 holes! My suspicions are that Red Sea had surplus backs for their older style cabinets and used them up before changing to the newer ones.

I added Hairy Mushrooms and Xenia (not the pulsing variety) today.

Last edited:

Pat24601

Nope, only one hole in mine. I looked at the old style today - 2 holes! My suspicions are that Red Sea had surplus backs for their older style cabinets and used them up before changing to the newer ones.

I added Hairy Mushrooms and Xenia (not the pulsing variety) today.

That would make sense. I was watching Roys original video and I did notice the back was all one piece. Things you don't know when someone else assembled the cabinet. I like the 2 holes better. I'm not sure why the would move away from it.

More importantly, congrats on the new corals! Those are great corals to start with from all I read. Looking good!

Roy Page

The current C-250 manual has not changed and still shows the 2 holes in the back panel >>
d98_0.jpg

Roy