29gal Build

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Just tested my water and my ammonia is no longer off the chart!! Its actually green instead of the deep blue. Its still very high (5ppm) but readable! My doubt about a stalled cycle is now gone. Now my readings go ammonia:5ppm, Nitrite: ~4ppm, Nitrate:40ppm.

YAY!! That's good news!

kyle4201

Yes they are expensive but I wouldn't be getting the radion pro. The Gen2's are about $650 and I only need one.. I am a college student so it sucks but it is good to have something to work for. It also helps that my boyfriend is supporting my "addiction" of aquariums and he will be going halves on whatever light I choose (to my dismay but there is NO talking him out of anything). Blackbeltmom- have you had success with your radions?
LOL,, Must be nice! My Fiance told me it would be half and half when we bought the glass. Now its more like, well, not that at all, lol. (she did buy a couple 1 inch PVC fittings when I installed the new fuge, and 1 real nice coral. (wish I had your problem, lol)

Elizabeth94

LOL,, Must be nice! My Fiance told me it would be half and half when we bought the glass. Now its more like, well, not that at all, lol. (she did buy a couple 1 inch PVC fittings when I installed the new fuge, and 1 real nice coral. (wish I had your problem, lol)
Well, anything is something right? I keep thinking that the initial cost is going to be the wort part but now I am thinking about the coral.. It must be easy to fill a tank with a couple hundred bucks worth of life. Im SOO excited to get some life in my tank. Hurry up cycle!! Ill probably get a firefish for my first fish but I cant seem to decide between one of those or a couple cardinal fish. hmm..

Elizabeth94

My bacteria has been working hard since my last post. I now have Ammonia: .5ppm Nitrite: 2ppm Nitrate: 20ppm. to me, these are perfect readings that I wish I had in the beginning of my cycle. I think it will be cycled in another week. I am still saving money for my lights. Can I have a fish without lighting the tank?

Elizabeth94

My tank is cycled!!!! Now I just have to do a nice big water change to drop those nitrates. Do you think a 10gal water change in a 35gal system would do good or do you think I should be aiming for a 20gal change? EDIT: my nitrates are at 80ppm. I have no algae yet so I m going to wait for my cuc. My first inhabitant will be a fish. Hows this stocking: two clownfish, one cardinal fish, one fire fish OR midas blenny.

Elizabeth94

Okay, I did a large water change and got two clowns. Ones a regular occellaris clownfish and the other is a mocha occellaris clownfish (at least thats what he was labeled as). So far they are sticking together in a corner and then they venture out once in a while. The mocha is noticeably smaller but not too small.. They were in tanks that didn't have much flow, do you think they can handle the water movement?

Elizabeth94

Here is a video [video]http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/cottoncandyzz332/media/IMG_0016_zpsbb8d6e89.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video] Its nothing much at all.. kinda boring but I couldnt get a good picture since they are swimming like crazy lol. They have settled down a bit after this video though. I think because I changed the powerhead positions.

Elizabeth94

I would have to say I am already getting a kick out of these little guys. They are soo cute! The smaller of the two is a pig. Right now I have them on omega one pellets, frozen marine cuisine, and mysis shrimp. The little clown sticks his face out of the water when I come by, I am pretty sure he's saying "feed me!!!." Do you think they will eat seaweed on a clip?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
My clowns have picked at the nori that comes prechopped in my Reef Frenzy frozen food, but it's not consistent. You could always give it a try.

Elizabeth94

Well, I just got done ordering my macro algae and my Ecotech Radion Gen2 Light! I am super excited for these lights. Now that the biggest expense is out of the way I need to buy the protein skimmer (Tunze 9002) and then I will be ready to add some corals.

Elizabeth94

This might be a dumb question but do you think I can just rest the radion on my mesh lid without any problems? The hanging bracket I'm having built wont be in for another two weeks and my lighting is coming in Wednesday.

Elizabeth94

Has anyone ordered coral from Cherrycorals? They have AWESOME acans and I am thinking I might get one after my lights come in and I go through the algae bloom.

Elizabeth94

I am sure people are lurking in the shadows of this thread so I still feel inclined to give small updates even if it just tracks my progress. Ever since I was little I have always loved the coral banded shrimp. I have done much research on them and know what the possible risks are in a reef tank with fish. However, I have made a decision to get one instead of a cleaner shrimp and hope that everything works out. I just hope that the one I want is still at the lfs. Anyways, here are some pics, please keep in mind that my light bracket hasnt been delivered yet and my lights are only 20% at three inches to the water. According to the directions I need them at 9inches for a 30x30" spread. Cant wait for the bracket!
20130802_103101_zps3ab717a3.jpg

20130802_103114_zpsd63762c1.jpg

Also, Ill have to get a picture tonight after work to show how my living room glows at night from these lights haha. If you stand outside and look at my house my windows glow blue and purple. Hopefully my phone can catch the colors

Elizabeth94

The coral banded shrimp was dead this morning.. He seemed to be a weak specimen at the store too since he stayed in one spot the whole time.. I acclimated him for 1 1/2 hours by drip method. I have decided to wait on the inverts until I get my protein skimmer and biopellets in my reactor. I am going to decide on one more fish (unless you think I could have two small ones) either a banggai cardinal or a six line.

Elizabeth94

My clowns are doing great and I also picked up my final fish last week. Its a coral beauty angelfish. I know what the potential dangers are in keeping this fish but I am willing to give it a try. I was wondering if there are any corals that would do well in a new tank with 30ppm nitrates? I haven't gotten my protein skimmer yet (I have to wait until the "wave" of birthday parties ends since I love getting presents haha).