29gal Build

Soupylou

I admire any woman that can turn her hand at plumbing

it was the reason why I opted for a plug and play, as its meant to be all in one.

Ur dog is gorgeous btw :)

Elizabeth94

The build is making small progress lately. I am getting everything that my wallet allows. I have recently purchased a heater, powerhead for mixing my salt, 7- 5gall water containers,40lbs of live sand, and a nice power strip. I just used my label maker to make some tags for my power strip. And of course Ill show a pic of the creepy-crawly that was in my basement when I took a pic of the water containers

20130701_133557_zps371fa059.jpg

20130701_133530_zpsb14c6b74.jpg

20130701_133419_zpsc79ef7c0.jpg

20130701_133338_zpsfc08f443.jpg

20130630_154524_zps614f08f8.jpg

I have a fear of spiders which is very strange. When I look at them I get shivers down my spine. This one was a fairly large spider to find in Rhode Island and it must have been sick or something because it couldn't walk, thats the only reason why I was able to stand there and take a pic. But because of my love for all creatures, I sucked up my fear and put it outside using a very long cooking spoon haha.

lbiminiblue

Thats going to be a great sump! Plumbing was a pain in the butt because the overflow had a very very slow drip. I have to take everything off, scrape the paint off, and silicone my bulkhead on with the gaskets. Nothing leaks now but it was just another set back until water could be added :(. I just have to order a couple more things before I can actually cycle the tank. While it is cycling I am going to buy my lighting since you don't need it for cycling.

looks great!

jayjoo

good evening liz, you can basically post what you like as I am also new to this site, just started a new fish,live rock and coral tank after 5 or so years with tropical so I am learning also, let us know how you progress.

Elizabeth94

I havent been here long but welcome jayjoo! As far as moving the thread, if a mod wants to move it or leave it here thats fine with me :)

Well.. instead of getting just RO water at my lfs I decided to buy their salt water and a piece of rock!! THE TANK IS WET! I added some pure ammonia to start the cycle (the thought of a rotting prawn in my tank didn't seem pleasing). It doesn't run too loud. The most noise is the humming from my powerheads and return pump. However, there is bubbling going on where the water enters the sump. For now I have a sponge to break up the bubbles but I need to find a better way. Here are a couple of pics!

20130702_143620_zps71bf04f8.jpg

20130702_143628_zpsb380356b.jpg

20130702_145117_zps35c1a954.jpg

I do not have my lights yet so sorry about the dark photos

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
YAY for getting water in! :yehoo: Let the cycle begin:thumbup:
The rotting prawn (deli-shrimp) worked well for me. I didn't have to worry about continuous feeding for my cycle and any thing that happened to scurry out of my live rock. I anchored it to the bottom with a rock after I tied it in a piece of nylon hosiery. If you think of what "name" you want on your tank thread, it would be best to have a mod move & re-name it so when others want to read "reef chronicles" they can find yours in that forum instead of the "meet & greet" forum. IMO
I'm excited to see this tank come to life :D

Elizabeth94

Okay that makes sense. I am not too sure on who is a mod.. with that in mind, if a mod happens to see this can you please move the thread to Reef Chronicles with the title "29gal Build". It would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will keep you all updated :)

Elizabeth94

So, I have been trying to figure out my stocking list for my tank and have been doing lots of research. Ik it will be a while until I can add fish but it is always good to have a plan. I love the maroon clownfish but all my research is telling me not to get a pair of those. So here is my plan so far (please comment on your opinion with stocking list, im a newbi and will listen)

29gal display with 10gal sump.

#1: two true percula clownfish, one yellow watchman goby, one fire fish

I am looking into wrasse fish as well as cardinal fish but I am still researching them.

If anyone has an opinion on what they would do that includes two clownfish please add on!

I like the naked clownfish, they are so cute!

Elizabeth94

I have a question.. Do you think a tank with a 2" sandbed and light crates underneath would stress out a pistol shrimp bc they like to burrow? Or even a goby?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
18 years ago, we used bottom filters like light crate but I don't see that done these days. Maybe someone can answer this. I didn't use anything under my sand bed. I don't know what the advantages are, IF there are any.

Elizabeth94

I wish I checked this earlier, I would have taken out the crate. I JUST got done with all of my rock work. It is really hot out here and my tank has reached 85. Good thing I don't have anything living in there at the moment, maybe I should convince my parents to get air conditioner in the living room next year. Anyway, here are some pictures. One is of the layout and one shows how cloudy the tank is after moving all the rocks.
20130706_114643_zpsfe4c555f.jpg

20130706_114652_zps9be17dd0.jpg

Will the tank go through a cloudy period when it cycles like freshwater does? Also, I have no lighting yet so will algae even grow enough when I am ready to add my cleanup crew?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Your water will clear & then pretty much stay clear. What are your plans for adding light?
I added a chiller to my tank....sure makes for some peace of mind cause it's HOT where I am also.

Elizabeth94

I was going to get the aquaticlife fixture with the lunar lights but I have my heart set on the AI Vega. I have done TONS of research on the fixture and I am pretty much set on my choice.

I added pure ammonia to my tank to start the cycle this morning. I just tested the water to make sure I have enough (with new test kits) and I have: 8ppm Ammonia, 5ppm Nitrite, and 20ppm Nitrate. Is this possible? I only have dry rockI cant believe its reading nitrates already.. I expected only ammonia.

Elizabeth94

So the tank has only been cycling for fives days and I have been testing it daily but noticed something I found strange. My ammonia and nitrite are very high (past the test readings) and my nitrate is moving around. I am trying to understand whats happening. I have cycles freshwater tanks and everything always went smooth but this time for saltwater its strange.

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
Ammonia 8 8 8 8 8
Nitrite 5 5 5 5 5
Nitrate 20 40 40 80 20

Do you think the bacteria that is eating the ammonia and the nitrITE are just growing slower than the nitrATE eating bacteria? Isnt that strange?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm not sure how adding straight ammonia works on cycling the tank. I used a rotting deli shrimp to feed my good bacteria growth during my tank's cycle.
Did you add ANY live rock or was it all DRY ROCK?
You need a source of GOOD bacteria to reduce your ammonia & nitrites to nitrates.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just read that you only used Dry Rock...You need to seed it with a few pieces of live rock. If possible, buy some LR (live rock) from an established mature tank. Most LFS will sell you some...look it over and try to pick pieces that don't have any obvious signs of bad stuff like aiptasi or bubble algae.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
You can use pure ammonia to cycle the tank and you don't need that much to do it (drops per gallon). Just be patient with your readings. Let it run its course. The bacteria will eventually adhere to your dry rock and by doing so converting it to live rock, though throwing in a couple pieces of already live rock wouldn't hurt.