Should I cut access above tank or just trim out like it is

• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Koda12305

Matt this has been an inspiration. I found your thread after researching what it would be like to build a giant plywood aquarium. That and with the help of Willie I think I am ready to start designing my tank. Thank you sir for all your hard work. An updated shot of the tank would be fantastic.

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

The glass thickness was one of the hardest thing for me to figure out. I was leaning towards 3/4", but I've looked at large tanks with 1/2" and talked to several people. Everyone says 1/2" is enough. GARF's website say 1/2" can be used up to 36" in height. My tank will be 40" tall, but the glass will be elevated from the bottom so you can't see the sand edge. It's supposed to work. I hope everyone was right.:fingerx:

Congratz on the new tank! I joined this forum because of your thread. I know your probably well ahead of this point by now but to other people and you too if you do another one like this I personally of gone with 3/4" because rather than being $550 for example it may $900 and for a tank this big and such a large investment, I would be willing to pay the extra $350 so rather than being borderline I have some wiggle room. Especially because if your tank is this big if you put in a larger fish and the glass is under pressure, and the large fish hits it it may cause it all to collapse. Not try to be harsh just letting you know.

MattShack

Thank you everyone. Sorry it has been so long since an update. Here are some pics. I still have an algae problem, but it is a lot better than it was. Hopefully in a few more months it will all be gone.

0623201201.JPG

0623201202.JPG

0623201203.JPG

0623201204.JPG

0623201205.JPG

jpsika08

Matt, tank is looking great with all those fish, hope you can correct the algae problem soon.
When are you planning introducing corals?

Tokalosh

Matt, I have just read your thread from the start and WOW, what a tank.

Well done mate and to be honest I'm very jealous!

Tok

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow. Good luck with the bloom. Do u think it has anything to do with the man made rock?

..........used coral frags. half off.

jpsika08

Matt, have you tried leaving lights off and tank covered for three days? a friend of mine went through the same problem, he did this and the algae was almost gone after this period.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Matt, have you tried leaving lights off and tank covered for three days? a friend of mine went through the same problem, he did this and the algae was almost gone after this period.

I hate to hijack but I'm gotta ask. Do corals suffer at all with 3 days no light? Loss of color etc? I've got a strange brownish long hair algae bloom in only on of the frag tanks.

..........used coral frags. half off.

jpsika08

Good question Matt, my friend only had some polyps which where good at the end.
I would ask in your case someone with expertise about it before doing this.

redneckgearhead

Mine didn't suffer to bad, but the HA just laughed and kept on growing. If I recall correctly this tank is all man made rock. I think you lose a lot of the nitrate "eating" bacteria that comes in LR (and If I recall lee correctly can not be reproduced in our tanks).

MattShack

I tried reducing the light to only on for 4 hours per day (that was all I was willing to do, because I have several SPS corals). I didn't see any difference.

Nitrates are virtually zero. I haven't had that problem at all. My sand bed is 6 inches deep. Concrete has a lot of phosphate and I believe that is the problem. The phosphate will deplete over time. Also, my RO unit broke and I have been using tap water for over a year to top off at an average of 15 - 20 gallons per day evaporation. That is probably the biggest problem. I'm ordering a new RO tomorrow. I also just ordered a dozen sand sifting gobies.