Should I cut access above tank or just trim out like it is

• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Candymom

I like your filter, I've built something similar for my 700 gallon koi tank in my backyard. You may find that polyester quilt batting will work better that the foam Matt. I tried several kinds of media in my filter until I tried quilt batting, that's all I use now.

MattShack

I have never in my life been tempted to do that hackneyed routine where you drop to your knees and moan "I'm not worthy", until now.

Amazing build and has me wondering how to reno the house to fit one. Of course I will have to say goodbye to the wife first 'cuz she would never stand for it.

Thank you. It took me two years to talk my wife into it. Now she loves it.

MattShack

I like your filter, I've built something similar for my 700 gallon koi tank in my backyard. You may find that polyester quilt batting will work better that the foam Matt. I tried several kinds of media in my filter until I tried quilt batting, that's all I use now.

Thanks for the info. I was actually considering switching to something else. The foam gets clogged in only a few days and it's very hard to clean. I like the polyester quilt batting idea. I'll switch it out this weekend and let you know how it works. I need to make the holes bigger also.

bthompson

Very nice tank!!! I found this thread while doing some research on building a 1500 gallon tank. I actually don't live to far from you, maybe I could see it sometime and get some advice.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I was just thinking the other day. 1000 gallons isn't enough. You continue to impress Matthew. Thanks for the updates. Matt

..........its 5:00 somewhere

soco

Just finished this thread and wow thia is awesome

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Roots

This was a great build. Thank you for sharing it Matt! It's very impressive. You have some great looking fish in there. Once the Algae issue is handled, you'll have a killer reef. I'm thinking of building my next tank in a similar fashion, but I'm only looking at something in the 350 gal. range.

MattShack

A few new additions

avyququ2.jpg

y4y2u3yd.jpg

eqetuva6.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Wow beautiful Moorish Idols !

What are they eating? I have read it is a very difficult fish to feed and one of the most difficult fish to keep because it is so difficult to feed.

MattShack

I was worried about getting them to eat. I read that it was better to keep them in a group of 2 or more because they school in the wild and are more comfortable in an aquarium. Supposedly, this can help increase the chance of them eating. Mine pick on the rocks all day and eat Formula One pellets. They haven't shown any interest in any frozen food or any other flake or pellet but they will compete with the other fish for the Formula One.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Very nice, one of my favorite fish! Good to hear they are eating pellets for you. And welcome back!