Should I cut access above tank or just trim out like it is

• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattShack

After several months of planning, research and encouragement from friends, (and talking my wife into it) today I started my aquarium build.

This will take a while, my wife has put me on a budget so be patient. Plus, I'm still working out some of the details.

Tank: Exterior Dimensions 129" x 60" x 40"
Tank: Interior Dimensions 120" x 52" x 40"
Approx. Volume: 1080 Gallons
Glass: 114" x 36" Starphire
Viewable Window: 108" x 30"

Tank will be constructed like stud walls in a house. It will be 2" x 4" framed with 2 laminated layers of plywood. Inside will be fiberglassed and epoxy painted.

Pictures will be posted throughout the build. Comments and recommendations are welcome. I want us to get through this together

Additional plans (subject to change)
3000 lbs of sand
2000+ lbs of live rock

Lighting, pumps, filtration, sump, skimmer, etc.... I have some ideas on, but will consider all recommendations and opinions here before I make final decisions.

MattShack

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

Got the lumber today
060509%20Lumber.JPG

This is the back where the aquarium will be located and fish room built. That is the glass in the wood crate on the right

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/060509 Fish Room.JPG

This is the living room where the aquarium will be. The entertainment center and the 75 gallon will be moved and the aquarum will be in that wall.

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/060509 Living Room.JPG

I've been looking forward to this, but after unloading the lumber, I have an idea of just how big and heavy this thing will be.

yungreefer2410

3000lbs of sand seems a little much to me. i would do more like 2000 at most and go from there.

MattShack

3000 lbs is an estimate. I'm just going to buy a pallet, which is 3000 lbs and go from there. Figured 3000 lbs would give me 6" DSB in the display. The bottom of the glass will be 6" above the bottom of the aquarium, so you won't be able to see the edge of the sand through the glass.

I like the 3000lb sand thing. Im all for the more sand and the 2000lb of live rock seems good to. Im sticking around for this build

AndtheBonus

Wow I think this is going to be a big tank. Just a thought :lurk:

Willie McDaries

Matt,I like the idea of building the walls like in a house,that'll be strong for sure ;)

Shamrok76

Wow I am new to saltwater aquariums and seeing this... Well I am just overwhelmed and definitely keeping an eye on this.

Frankie

RS STAFF

Looks like a fun project Matt. I'll be tagging along for this one!
I am no to sure about that marble stuff. I would post a thread on it in the Reef Chemistry forum ( http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/ ) and get Boomer to check it out. He knows geology and paleontology. Keep in mind that marbles tend to have traces of metals in them.
Also from the link you provided it appears to be a very fine material though they do not give a mm size. I am assuming it is going to make more of a paste from their claims of how smooth their product is.
I am worried about it becoming a solid packed substrate. Also marble will have very little bacterial abilities due to it's smooth surface.
I would also suggest shooting for a shallow sand bed in a tank that large. DSB's tend to turn into nitrate and phosphate factories over time. 2-4" would be ideal.

MattShack

Looks like a fun project Matt. I'll be tagging along for this one!
I am no to sure about that marble stuff. I would post a thread on it in the Reef Chemistry forum ( http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/ ) and get Boomer to check it out. He knows geology and paleontology. Keep in mind that marbles tend to have traces of metals in them.
Also from the link you provided it appears to be a very fine material though they do not give a mm size. I am assuming it is going to make more of a paste from their claims of how smooth their product is.
I am worried about it becoming a solid packed substrate. Also marble will have very little bacterial abilities due to it's smooth surface.
I would also suggest shooting for a shallow sand bed in a tank that large. DSB's tend to turn into nitrate and phosphate factories over time. 2-4" would be ideal.

I was reading somewhere that crushed marble, which is crushed calcium carbonate, is used almost exclusively in Australia. I was worried about it being too fine also and had the company send me a sample. It's almost identical to the Carib-Sea in one of my other aquariums. I washed some and put it in a glass of water to see how it would look.

Thanks for the tip on the chemistry forum. I'll do that.

redsea reefer

Holy Cow....1,000 gallons, I will be following this from beginning to end.
Good Luck Matt.

MattShack

Thanks redsea, that's two votes against the DSB. I may have to reconsider. I do have two engineer gobies, convict blennies, or whatever you want to call them. That is why I was leaning toward the DSB in the display instead of external. I also may add some more burrowers.

MattShack

Here is the beginning of the stand. The pieces are just sitting there, not attached together. Have to go to Home Depot again. I'll try to update later.

060609%20Stand%20Start.JPG

MattShack

Got the base of the stand framing finished. Battery charging so I thought I would take a break and post a few pics. Not much different than before, but assembled now.

060609%20Stand%20Base2.JPG

060609%20Stand%20Base1.JPG

Got the base of the stand framing finished. Battery charging so I thought I would take a break and post a few pics. Not much different than before, but assembled now.

060609%20Stand%20Base2.JPG

060609%20Stand%20Base1.JPG

:drooool: :drooool: :drooool: :drooool: :drooool:

BobBursek

Matt,
this is hind site and a builder, a truss system is stronger and cheaper unless you need the space under neath, as I said hind site, but you got me going to start a new project!!!!!!!! Just salt is getting so $$$$$$$$ I lived in Concord MS for a year, wher are you to it?