• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattShack

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

Does that take into account the heat generated from the MH? I think if you had to start running a chiller, the power consumption would be in favor of the T5's, but you can always decide more T5's or chiller when the time comes.

What type of overflow will you be using?

I tried to take heat into consideration, but it's hard to calculate. The T5's would be closer to the water but run cooler. Not sure which would be best as far as not heating the water. The MH will be about 16" above the water.

I have 8 T5's on my 75 gallon with good coral growth and color. I like the T5's but a little concerned about T5's being adequate for my tank depth.

Going with external overflow across the back (coast to coast).

funkpolice

looks good so far. I want to do a smaller custom build when we move maybe 300 gal, so I'll be taking notes. I hope that 1/2" glass is enough.
bill

lcstorc

Awesome!
One of the most incredible tanks I have seen had a school of Yellow Tangs with one large Black Tang.
Just a thought for you.

MattShack

looks good so far. I want to do a smaller custom build when we move maybe 300 gal, so I'll be taking notes. I hope that 1/2" glass is enough.
bill

Hopefully we can learn something. 300 is a pretty big tank, take a look at Willie's build, it's about 360 gallons, http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/46213-willies-plywood-adventure.html
So far it hasn't been too hard, but the real test will be when I have it full of water with no leaks.

Willie McDaries

1st layer of plywood. Put a chair on top for scale.

060609%20plywood1.JPG

well the "stage" is set for a massive tank now :yup:

Frankie

RS STAFF

Yeah, that thing could be used for circus elephant!!
I think you need to drill the bottom out though and do some closed loops coming up through for hidden flow. A tank this big needs a lot of flow and a CL is the most cost efficient way to get flow into the tight spots. Have you done any reading on closed loops?

MattShack

Yeah, that thing could be used for circus elephant!!
I think you need to drill the bottom out though and do some closed loops coming up through for hidden flow. A tank this big needs a lot of flow and a CL is the most cost efficient way to get flow into the tight spots. Have you done any reading on closed loops?

I've done so much reading I think I have a jumbled mess in my head. :drool:

I will definitely have a closed loop. I am working on a DIY wave maker, if it works I will probably go with a Hammerhead. If it doesn't then 2 Hammerheads for the closed loop.

I'm going to drill some holes, I'm just scared to right now. haha.. I'm afraid of putting them in the wrong spot.

funkpolice

do you have any thoughts on what your water change schedule will be? 10% a week is gonna blow your wife's budget for sure! Is there going to be a sump for the system and if so where will it go, and how big are you thinking?
bill

MattShack

do you have any thoughts on what your water change schedule will be? 10% a week is gonna blow your wife's budget for sure! Is there going to be a sump for the system and if so where will it go, and how big are you thinking?
bill

Not 100% sure on the water change schedule, probably more like 5% a week. Guess it will depend on the load and water parameters until I can get a feel for how the tank will run.

Sump will be 300 to 500 gallons, 75 to 100 gallon refugium in addition to the sump. Depending on how I design the fish room. Right now, I think the 500 gallon sump will fit.

MattShack

A few pics then back to work. The overflow will be across the back. The back of the tank will be against the back wall of the fish room, so I can't do conventional plumbing for the overflow. The water will flow down the back of the tank to one side then to the sump. You can see the slope of the framing in the pics below.

060809backframe1.JPG

060809backwall1.JPG

060809backwall2.JPG

060809backwallframe.JPG

gch.3

looks great cant wait to see it with water in it.

Willie McDaries

A few more pics.

060809walls7.JPG

thats bigger than their office cubical's at work....it might look smaller once the desk and filing cabinets are in there though :laughroll

you're moving along nicely,I didn't realize just how big thats gonna be,its huge.....I don't think you'll have any problems with it staying together.....looks very strong,