Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Willie McDaries

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

Thanks reefsmoker

My outside meter and inside breaker box is actually on the opposite end of the house. About 100 feet away. From the beginning, I've been planning a dedicated circuit for the fish room. I already have tripped breakers when my wife or daughter turns on the hair dryer or vacuums in the room with my other aquariums.

My plan is to run a dedicated 100 amp circuit with gfci's for the fish room. May run some of the lighting and pumps on 220v.

thats a good idea using the 220v stuff....the hammerhead will run on 220v and lumatek makes a 220v version of their ballast,that would help out some on the power consumption ;)

the dedicated circuits is something I still need to do with my tank,if I run all 4 of my MH's with everything else running,I trip a breaker

MattShack

thats a good idea using the 220v stuff....the hammerhead will run on 220v and lumatek makes a 220v version of their ballast,that would help out some on the power consumption ;)

the dedicated circuits is something I still need to do with my tank,if I run all 4 of my MH's with everything else running,I trip a breaker

You're going to really trip the breaker when you plug that Hammerhead in.

Frankie

RS STAFF

Looking good!
As for the water changes. At first I would shoot for once a month 20%. That is a major water volume to deal with. I would start off slowly and see where it leads you. I use to do 20% once a month on my 120 with great results for a long time. My new method with the zeovit does not allow me to wait so long with water changes.

MattShack

Looking good!
As for the water changes. At first I would shoot for once a month 20%. That is a major water volume to deal with. I would start off slowly and see where it leads you. I use to do 20% once a month on my 120 with great results for a long time. My new method with the zeovit does not allow me to wait so long with water changes.

Thaks for the info. That sounds like a good starting point.

kiwiman456

First of all, this is a cool build. Secondly I have some concerns about your electrical. you may know this, but one 100A circuit is not a good idea unless it is feeding a sub panel in your fish room. You would need much larger cable than normal. Also you do not want to put a normal 20A GFCI on a hundred amp circuit, you will start a fire :bmcflme:.
I would suggest multiple 20 amp circuits.

Not trying to be rude, but as an electrician I am concerned for your safety. If you have any questions on beaker sizes or doing load calculations for wire sizing please don't hesitate to PM me.

MattShack

First of all, this is a cool build. Secondly I have some concerns about your electrical. you may know this, but one 100A circuit is not a good idea unless it is feeding a sub panel in your fish room. You would need much larger cable than normal. Also you do not want to put a normal 20A GFCI on a hundred amp circuit, you will start a fire :bmcflme:.
I would suggest multiple 20 amp circuits.

Not trying to be rude, but as an electrician I am concerned for your safety. If you have any questions on beaker sizes or doing load calculations for wire sizing please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't take it as rude.. That's what we're here for, to learn and share information.

I'm not an electrician, but I did build houses for years and wired many myself. I haven't sized the wire yet, I would have to research that and figure out the size for the length run I have. I'm not the best at electrical design, but I can follow instructions if I have some :D I'll give you as much info as possible and feel free to give me your suggestion.

My plan is to install the 100 amp, or maybe 2 50 amp mains at the meter base. Then run to a sub panel in the fish room, or 2 sub panels if I go with 2 50 amps. In the sub panel install multiple 20 amps and run to the recepticals. 1 50 amp will probably be enough. I just wanted to make sure I had enough in the fish room and not have to run anything later.

From the meter base to the fish room would be about a 100 foot run. I planned on using 12/2 with ground for all wiring in the fish room.

Please tell me if you see anything wrong with this. Also, would you suggest GFCI breakers in the sub panel, or use GFCI plugs?

MattShack

Today's progress... Slow Progress...

061009bottomfront1.JPG

061009bottomfront2.JPG

061009bottomfront3.JPG

061009frontframe1.JPG

061009frontframe2.JPG

061009frontframe3.JPG

funkpolice

man, you don't mess around!! Looking good. Be sure you don't keep up this pace once you get the water in!
bill

MattShack

man, you don't mess around!! Looking good. Be sure you don't keep up this pace once you get the water in!
bill

Thanks... I feel like it's going slow. I only have a few hours each afternoon to work on it.

Frankie

RS STAFF

Your doing a fine job so far. I am curious, what does the wife say about the loss of space in that room?
I am also wondering how high up off the floor the top of that tank is? What is your plan for working in it? Have you considered building a platform with steps behind it?

funkpolice

I'll be getting in to week three of tiling my kitchen and bathroom floor, so that shows you the kind of pace I work at. Beer, tile, beer, tile, beer, beer, beer, bed.
bill

MattShack

Your doing a fine job so far. I am curious, what does the wife say about the loss of space in that room?
I am also wondering how high up off the floor the top of that tank is? What is your plan for working in it? Have you considered building a platform with steps behind it?

She's coming around. I've been planning this and preparing her for a little over a year now. :yup: As part of the negotiations, I have to remodel the entire room that I'm building the fish room in, complete with built-in entertainment center, new hardwood floors, etc. So, I guess you could say she's getting something out of the deal too. :yup: The room is mainly used by the kids, once I take out the area for the fish room, it will still be a decent size room approx 400 sq.ft left.

The tank is.. (had to go measure it).. 77 1/4" tall right now. It will probably grow about another 1 1/2" for a total of just under 79" tall. Currently the ceiling is 96", so that's only 17" from the ceiling. There are two upstairs walls that are 3' apart that are directly over where the tank will be. Right now it's just a void between the walls. I'm going to attach joist between the two walls and raise the ceiling over the tank a few feet to give plenty of room (there is enough room to go up about 6 or 7 feet if I wanted to). I figured since heat rises, this raised area would be a good location for my ventilation equipment. I have to remodel the room anyway, so this really won't be very difficult. I don't like tanks on short stands. I don't like to bend down to look in my tanks. The bottom of the viewing window is 42" from the floor, so the top is 72" from the floor.

MattShack

I'll be getting in to week three of tiling my kitchen and bathroom floor, so that shows you the kind of pace I work at. Beer, tile, beer, tile, beer, beer, beer, bed.
bill

Sounds like a good plan:thumbup: Is there a better way? :LOL:

aquanight

i just came across this thread thats an awsome tank congrats on the upgrade... wish i had the money or id upgrade.... you know what they say the hobby never gets cheap.. only expensive...good luck and congrats i look forward to future pics...

MattShack

i just came across this thread thats an awsome tank congrats on the upgrade... wish i had the money or id upgrade.... you know what they say the hobby never gets cheap.. only expensive...good luck and congrats i look forward to future pics...

Thanks aquanight... definitely not cheap

love the build, just curious, are you going to be accessing the front or the back of this ginormous tank? like when you do your testing etc?

MattShack

love the build, just curious, are you going to be accessing the front or the back of this ginormous tank? like when you do your testing etc?

Thanks burntricer...

There will not be any access from the rear. The easiest access will be from one side, which of course is not the best. I want to be able to access from the front, I'm still trying to decide what will look good in our livingroom. I really don't want the look of cabinet doors above the tank. So, I'm still working on that a little. My goal is to have access from the front. The testing will all be done in the fish room, which will be beside the tank.