Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattShack

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

Ok. Question for everyone...

I've been reading a lot on the fiberglass and epoxy and I really want to do the pour method, instead of trying to roll everything on the vertical walls. As we all know, I'm building the tank inside. I can not rotate the tank on end because it's 129" long and I have 96" ceiling height in that room. But I can rotate it onto its back and front and of course upright. So the only places I can't do the pour method is the two ends.

My thought... I can get everyting set up and pour the two ends before they are installed on the tank, leaving some fiberglass cloth sticking out and leaving about 1/8" from each edge with no epoxy. Install the two end panels and rotate the tank onto its back and pour the back, the bottom, then front. The key to this would be to get the side panels installed at the right time to get a chemical bond with the epoxy.

What do you think?

funkpolice

I'd say that if you are comfortable with the fiberglass it sounds like a solid plan. I've never done something like that, so I would be hesitant to put myself under a time constraint like that.
bill

MattShack

I'm going to be working inside, so temperature should be below 75 degrees. That should help. I could go with a slower hardner to give me more working time.

Willie McDaries

I'm going to be working inside, so temperature should be below 75 degrees. That should help. I could go with a slower hardner to give me more working time.

Matt,
think of it like this.....if you could stand the tank on end and pour,then turn it to the other end and pour it........the first pour side has had more time to cure than if you did both sides at once,and installed them at the same time,so I think you'll save some time by doing it like you plan.......go with the slower hardener,and you should be ok :thumbup:

MattShack

Matt,
think of it like this.....if you could stand the tank on end and pour,then turn it to the other end and pour it........the first pour side has had more time to cure than if you did both sides at once,and installed them at the same time,so I think you'll save some time by doing it like you plan.......go with the slower hardener,and you should be ok :thumbup:

Thanks Willie, If it don't work, then I'll just be doing some sanding. :D

funkpolice

try to get a few in progress picks if you can, I want to see how it's done.
bill

MattShack

funkpolice, I will try to document steb-by-step and post pics.

fata1ity, :LOL: I'm kinda at a stand still right now working on little things (unless you want a pic of me sanding) :D, It will probably be a week or so before I get to that point. I will post more pics and try to talk less :LOL:

MattShack

Picture taken specially for fata1ity. :D

Epoxy filled screw hole that has been sanded.

061509epoxfilscrewhole.JPG

MattShack

I cut out the overflows today. I took a few close-up pictures of the bond between the two 1/2" layers of plywood. It came out pretty nice. I still have to clean up the corners a little.

061709plywood1.JPG

061709plywood2.JPG

061709plywoodthickness.JPG

MattShack

Matt,you're about 1/16" shy of the 1",you'll have to add extra epoxy to make up the difference :D

Haha.. I was wondering when someone was going to say that. It will have 1/8" layer of epoxy. Then I'll be 1/16" over. I guess to be exact, the plywood was 15/32" instead of 1/2". :D

Willie McDaries

Haha.. I was wondering when someone was going to say that. It will have 1/8" layer of epoxy. Then I'll be 1/16" over. I guess to be exact, the plywood was 15/32" instead of 1/2". :D

yep,I gave everyone else a chance at it,no one said anything about it so,I felt obligated to mention it...:lol:...my 3/4" plywood was actually 23/32"......when they sanded the 1 side of the plywood,that's what they end up with....if they sanded both sides of 3/4" they'd almost have to sell it for 1/2" :lol:

was the 2 layers of 1/2" plywood less expensive than 1 layer of 3/4"?