• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattShack

Thanks Lethal.

I was tripping one of my 15 amp breakers recently, had to move some stuff around. I ran a dedicated circuit to the room with 4 - 15 amp breakers and I'm starting to get worried I might need more.

A flood would be a good way for my wife to put an end to the hobby for me. I have already been warned... :lol:

MattShack

Thanks Lethal.

I was tripping one of my 15 amp breakers recently, had to move some stuff around. I ran a dedicated circuit to the room with 4 - 15 amp breakers and I'm starting to get worried I might need more.

A flood would be a good way for my wife to put an end to the hobby for me. I have already been warned... :lol:

StirCrayzy

We've all got that warning i bet!
I tried to sofften the blow by letting her know thats the easiest way to get new flooring paid by insurance! :yup:

Matt I have to say that is one of the best tanks I've ever seen. Reading through your thread has got me thinking, I couldn't have anything that big just yet but it has giving me an idea on how to design my tank when I finally get to build it. I've alway been a fan of all glass tanks, however after seeing ur pics I'm rethinking that. Awesome job, Ty and your family for shareing the build with us.by the way. The Christmas tree was put in an appropriate place. After all it was a gift not only for u but ur family as well. Thanks again Matt, glad u r feeling better. Let's us know how everything is going.

MattShack

Matt I have to say that is one of the best tanks I've ever seen. Reading through your thread has got me thinking, I couldn't have anything that big just yet but it has giving me an idea on how to design my tank when I finally get to build it. I've alway been a fan of all glass tanks, however after seeing ur pics I'm rethinking that. Awesome job, Ty and your family for shareing the build with us.by the way. The Christmas tree was put in an appropriate place. After all it was a gift not only for u but ur family as well. Thanks again Matt, glad u r feeling better. Let's us know how everything is going.

Thank you Knight.

I was always a fan of all glass myself, but after exploring the plywood, I like plywood better. Besides, cleaning 30 square feet of glass is enough for me... I couldn't imagine having to clean the other 3 sides. :surrender:

Willie McDaries

Thank you Knight.

I was always a fan of all glass myself, but after exploring the plywood, I like plywood better. Besides, cleaning 30 square feet of glass is enough for me... I couldn't imagine having to clean the other 3 sides. :surrender:

cleaning the glass is much easier if you have access to the front top of the tank :D

I believe there was a poll here at 1 time,to have access or not,and to have access was voted out :lol: although,I will agree,it looks much better without the opening :D

MattShack

cleaning the glass is much easier if you have access to the front top of the tank :D

I believe there was a poll here at 1 time,to have access or not,and to have access was voted out :lol: although,I will agree,it looks much better without the opening :D

That's funny. Every time I look at this thread I see that poll and shake my head. It will be easier when I get finished with the expansion.

I have about 20 or do corals that I need to put where they are going, but I can't do that right now without going snorkeling, so they are all on one side. I will have better access soon though. I don't want to go snorkeling.

MattShack

Starting fish room expansion...

2012-07-13-RoomExpansion2.JPG

2012-07-13-RoomExpansion3.JPG

2012-07-13-RoomExpansion1.JPG

MattShack

Here is a little update from the last few days:

I had to rotate the sump 90 degrees to have enough room to walk around it when the room is finished.

2012-07-16sump1.JPG

2012-07-16sump2.jpg

MattShack

I ran a water line and drain line to the room. The water line will feed the RO and the drain line is for the waste water from the RO and the skimmer will also be plumbed into the drain line so there is no more skimmate to empty. It will go straight down the drain from the skimmer and the skimmate will be flushed out of the line by the waste water from the RO.

I will post pics of the inside plumbing when I get it finished. Right now the lines just go up to the house. I haven't ran them inside yet.

2012-07-17trench1.JPG

2012-07-17trench2.JPG

2012-07-17trench3.JPG

MattShack

I made a particulate filter using an Instant Ocean bucket, a 4" drain pvc pipe and a $10 foam mattress pad from Walmart. There is only a few inches of water in the sump. It will be 2 or 3 more days before the RO makes enough water to fill the sump.

2012-07-18filter1.JPG

2012-07-18filter2.JPG

2012-07-18filter3.JPG

2012-07-18filter4.JPG

2012-07-18filter5.JPG

2012-07-18filter6.JPG

2012-07-18filter7.JPG

2012-07-18filter8.JPG

2012-07-18filter9.JPG

I have never in my life been tempted to do that hackneyed routine where you drop to your knees and moan "I'm not worthy", until now.

Amazing build and has me wondering how to reno the house to fit one. Of course I will have to say goodbye to the wife first 'cuz she would never stand for it.

Doogle

The sump turned looks better. Nice filter.lol. You couldn't use a pillow case? LoL nitrate factory OMG! J/k