• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Man that's rough. JJ (Myreeftoyours ) makes frag plugs outta special concrete just because of this. A tear down is probably outta the question huh.

..........who wants a cold one.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Concrete must cure for some time to reduce the risk of this. It is also much denser than regular rock and won't do as good of a job of housing the good bacteria we need in our tanks. Over time the concrete will contribute less and less to your water column. Getting your new RO unit will help. The gobies will work wonders on the sand bed but it might backfire at first as they start stirring up all the stuff trapped in the sand bed underneath the algae. In the long run you'll be better off but don't be surprised if it makes it worse at first. I'm not sure how big your CUC is but I'd add another 500-1000 hermits to the mix. Hermits are the best cleaners for me when I get new corals in. I do think you can beat it though, it isn't that bad.

redneckgearhead

Your nitrates and phosphates will read nearly 0 any time you have HA. It gets bound up in the HA really quickly. Tap water ugh, been there done that, no t-shirt just HA. lol. I use an algae scrubber and I like it. Uses the nitrate/phosphate removing properties of HA for good instead of evil. Are you still using your DIY salt mix? Could that be contributing?

Doogle

Awesome build Matt, love how you have a more open scape. The fish look tiny in it! LoL can't wait to see it filled with coral. Keep up the awesome work I'm sure it gives you alot of satisfaction.

MattShack

This is what I added Friday:

1 - Yellow Longnose Butterfly
3 - Diamond Goby
1 - Engineer (Neon) Goby
3 - Hector's Goby
1 - Orange Banded Prawn Goby
1 - Rainfordi (Court Jester) Goby
1 - Twinspot (Signal) Goby
2 - Yellow Watchman Goby
1 - Sailfin Tang
1 - Vlamingi Tang
4 - Yellow Tang
20 - Peppermint Shrimp

Gobies are working wonders on my sand bed.

JJ - you are right. The water is cloudy and the skimmer is working overtime.

I plan on adding about 10-20 acros in two weeks when I get back from vacation. I am also going to start expanding the aquarium room and set up some frag tanks and algae scrubber.

Redneckgearhead - I have plans for a 20 foot long algae scrubber after I expand the aquarium room. I will post pics.

redneckgearhead

This is what I added Friday:

1 - Yellow Longnose Butterfly
3 - Diamond Goby
1 - Engineer (Neon) Goby
3 - Hector's Goby
1 - Orange Banded Prawn Goby
1 - Rainfordi (Court Jester) Goby
1 - Twinspot (Signal) Goby
2 - Yellow Watchman Goby
1 - Sailfin Tang
1 - Vlamingi Tang
4 - Yellow Tang
20 - Peppermint Shrimp

Gobies are working wonders on my sand bed.

JJ - you are right. The water is cloudy and the skimmer is working overtime.

I plan on adding about 10-20 acros in two weeks when I get back from vacation. I am also going to start expanding the aquarium room and set up some frag tanks and algae scrubber.

Redneckgearhead - I have plans for a 20 foot long algae scrubber after I expand the aquarium room. I will post pics.
20 FOOT! Wow, I can't wait to see this! I hope it will be solar powered! LOL. The good thing is HA makes a GREAT fertilizer! You could make a killing selling "fertilizer" to the local green houses lol. I hope you start a build thread on that.

MattShack

I guess I should be clear, it's not going to be 20 feet high. It's going to be horizontal. My tank is 10' long and my sump is on one end. The scrubber will flow from the overflow and sump side, all the way down to the other end, do a U-turn and flow back to the sump. It will look something like this, except narrower and not acrylic:

scrubber.JPG

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just checked out your thread Matt, what an awesome job you've done. You've got some great fish in there.