Search results

1. S

Potential stings and poisons in our reef tanks!!

I am glad you all enjoyed that talk so much! It is actually one of my favorites as well. I have a lot of fun doing it.
  2. S

So you touched it now what?

Those Euphyllia species (hammer, frogspawn, and torch) seem to give a lot of people trouble.
  3. S

Need opinions from RSM LED people!!

I am glad you are enjoying your LED.
  4. S

What Corals Are These?

The top does look like green star polyps to me. A particularly bushy variety, but GSP none the less. The 2nd photo is an algae. Don't know the scientific name, though.
  5. S

Using FW sand for Reef?

I would not use that sand because it could be loaded up with dirt from the freshwater setup, but you can use that brand of sand (new) for saltwater. It looks really cool, although it is difficult to keep clean.
  6. S

What's a good RO/DI unit?

I prefer SpectraPure.
  7. S

I understand the pain now of the RSM heaters...

That is the first story of a heater malfunction that didn't end up cooking the aquarium. Every other time I have heard of a heater going bad, it practically boiled everything.
  8. S

Painting Back of Tank

I have seen some blue painted backgrounds I really liked and some that were truly awful. The wrong hue of blue can make a big difference.
  9. S

Should Formalin baths be done to every new fish added to a tank or just clowns?

I would do one on every wild-caught anemonefish, but captive raised should be clean.
  10. S

ice cap 430 ballast question?

You can operate up to three T12VHO lamps on the 430.
  11. S

So you touched it now what?

I am glad you all liked the videos!
  12. S

Ice Cap ballast question

Yes, the IceCap ballasts are extremely versatile. They will operate NO, VHO, PC, and T5HO lamps. But, the nature of T5HO lamps prevents the 430 from running anymore than 2 lamps.
  13. S

Are Anemones a must for raising clowns?

I toured ORA two weeks ago and saw about a million clownfish between breeding pairs and offspring. Never saw one anemone. Just little ceramic tile shacks.
  14. S

Ice Cap ballast question

The 430 will operate up to four 24" VHO lamps in the schematic above. But, for T5 HO lamps, the maximum number it can power is two. To run four T5 HO lamps, you would need to replace your 430 with a 660 or buy a second 430. Both the 430 and 660 ballasts drive 39 watt T5 HO lamps to about 60...
  15. S

Urgent help, Flowerhorn laid eggs.

I would not do anything with the eggs. It is likely they are not fertile. Flowerhorns are rumored to be hybrids, so they don't have offspring. Think of mules. You get a mule by mating a donkey with a horse. The offspring are mules. But, you can't mate a mule with a mule and get anything.
  16. S

Please help I have a question about my lighting!!!!

As plecosword and Clownfish518 said, first figure out what you want to keep. Then tailor the choice of lighting to their needs.
  17. S

Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!! After Euphyllia, bristleworms, and a few lionfish stings I always glove up.
  18. S

Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!! I am glad you liked the talk. I try to keep it a little light as it is a very heavy, bummer topic. I want people to learn something, but be amused while doing so.
  19. S

What kind of camera do you use?

I bought one of the first Canon Digital Rebels that came out and have been very pleased with it.