Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!!

Todd - are you going back tomorrow to see if the prices drop near the end of the show?

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
You know, one of the things that kept me from purchasing corals was also that I am acclimating what I have now to the new 250 watt light system. I could not fairly give the new corals the light they are accustomed to and BLAST what I have in the tank. I think I would end up with big problems!
I am trying to be very careful here and not kill what I have. They had some fantastic pieces there though!!!!
And great people too! I MAY go back tomorrow, as prices usually drop towards the end. However, I am torn as I have just installed new lighting! What do you guys think? Should I risk it?
Thanks!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Tough decision, but anything new should be OK, till you can ramp up the light hours for your existing corals? Or, just take Sunday off and save some money. :)

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Well, I opted to save the money and get what I have in order! Here's my report as of Monday night:
I love this Odyssea light set up! So far it is working fantastic and the double ended 250 watt odyssea bulb puts out a whopping amount of PAR. The ballast is working quite well too!It's not quite blue enough for me and my taste.
I still have not decided yet. IF I do, will change to a Phoenix 14k or a Helios 20K or go with some T5 blues to get that bit more blue color.
All in all for 104.00 the light was a great value! Oh, my new back up ballast arrives tomorrow!!!! Hopefully this IceCap works! Then I can swap ballasts and get a better idea of color and what I want to do!
Honestly, I think this ballast is putting out close to 250 watts that came with the unit. But, I am not sure. A higher PAR reading will confirm tomorrow.
All corals are responding nicely and picking up some new color! I am getting a little "POP" now that I did not have before on some of the Acro frags. I am sure a more blue bulb would inhance it further!
Oh, I am up to 6.5 hours daily now with the new bulb. Looks to be doing very well!
The hood gets hot! But don' they all? It came with a fan that works pretty well. So far so good!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Todd. I hope that Icecap arrives today! The extra light appears to be helping the corals color up so that's good. On the hood getting hot, my Orbit only gets slightly warm to the touch, and the ballast on mine is internal. But, I have a 150 W not a 250, so that may be the reason.

This thread needs some new "pichers" :)

I did get to speak to a IceCap rep. there! GUESS WHAT????????????????? Icecap ballasts ARE MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!
Seems no one here can do the labor and be cost competitive. WOW! I am very bummed by this!

Our MH ballasts are made in China. Our fluorescent ballasts are made here in NJ.

Spikewire

Our MH ballasts are made in China. Our fluorescent ballasts are made here in NJ.

Hey Steven. It was nice to meet you at the BRASS conference in Boston this past weekend. Your lecture on some of the potential dangers in our reef tanks was great. Scared the crap out of me actually and I'm thinking of finally using gloves :)

Nice to see you here in the RSM club as well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Spikewire - after you've been stung a few times by things like the Euphyllia (Frogspawn, Torch, Hammer) and bristled by bristleworms a few times, you'll start wearing gloves like I do now. :)

Hey Steven. It was nice to meet you at the BRASS conference in Boston this past weekend. Your lecture on some of the potential dangers in our reef tanks was great. Scared the crap out of me actually and I'm thinking of finally using gloves :)

Nice to see you here in the RSM club as well.

I am glad you liked the talk. I try to keep it a little light as it is a very heavy, bummer topic. I want people to learn something, but be amused while doing so.

Spikewire - after you've been stung a few times by things like the Euphyllia (Frogspawn, Torch, Hammer) and bristled by bristleworms a few times, you'll start wearing gloves like I do now. :)

After Euphyllia, bristleworms, and a few lionfish stings I always glove up.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Ahh, hi Terry!
I made the mistake of downloading Windows XP Update system pack 3! DO NOT DO IT!!!!! I still cannot get the printer to work! Working on it at this moment!
YEs, I did get the ballast and have decided to go with a different hood now due to the tank size so I can get optimal light output.
The Phoenix system is working good. I just have some ideas to change things.
This printer thing has got me stumped! I cannot get the drivers to load correctly to get it to print! it's a 4 month old HP printer too!
Any advice? SHOOT IT?..................LOL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Todd - OK on getting another hood. No idea what's going on with the printer drivers not loading correctly.

Here's a DUH! story for you. A couple months ago I had to re-format and reinstall Windows, etc. on my wife's desktop. A few days ago I got around to reinstalling her little webcam that she uses to see out the window (can't see it due to the computer hutch blocking her view. I spent a few hours of aggravation trying to install the software & drivers, then got fed up and gave up. Later that day I looked at the webcam, and it was a newer one we'd gotten. The software and drivers I was trying to get working were for an older, different brand webcam we trashed ages ago. DUH! I found the correct CD and had the thing going in 5 minutes!

Dweezil

Go to Windows 7! I just threw in a new hard drive in my laptop and loaded up Windows 7. I also have a couple XP laptops and did the service pack 3 install with no problems. Something must have gotten hosed.

Dweezil

That's true. There is no direct upgrade path from XP to 7. Only Vista to 7.
I always like a clean install anyway so I just bought another hard drive to install 7 on. I still have Vista on the hard drive I took out. Actually the install of 7 went flawless. It found everything including Dell specific stuff. So far I love it. Much faster and not such a resource hog. Sorry for hijacking redseareef.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hi Guys,
Well, my HP printer here in the office worked great until I downloaded the system pack 3!!!!!
So, I want to do is erase the operating system and reinstall XP with only system pack 2 as before! I have the rescue disks here.
What is the safest way to delete the current operating system off my hard drive!
I have been told my computer is too old and that I need to upgrade! LOL!!! I love my computer and am not going to spend the money right now upgrading!
Thanks! Terry.............DOH!!!! I have done things like that before! WE ALL HAVE..............LOL

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hi guys,
Hooked the printer up to our secondary computer and "WHALA"!!!! Works like a champ!!!!
You know, Microsoft's way of making us spend more money and upgrade!

Dweezil

Try doing a system restore before you wipe the hard drive and start over. Just do the restore for a time right before you dowloaded system pack 3. Or you might even be able to remove system pack 3 in the add/remove programs.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Good news on the printer! I'm not sure if you can erase the operating system with doing a format and erasing everything - not fun at all! I'm not sure if there's a way to erase the just last service pack either?

Good idea by Tammy on the system restore, if you have a point saved prior to the service pack.