Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

rhogeo

Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!!

Hey RSR, why did you go with a 250 watt over a 150 ? This is over a RSM 130, right? Just wondering if it's because of the corals you have (SPS?) or because you wanted the brightest thing out there?

Also, do you think having an open top now will help with the cooling? It should, but it sounds like that thing puts out so much heat, it's still heating up the tank a bit.

Waiting on pictures... :)

- geoff

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hi Geoff,
I have about 4 Acropora's that I know need more light. The 150 watters(actually 175 watters back then) never would cut it. But back then we had less research and engineering into reflectors and so on.
You are correct on the heating up of the tank. I have decided on a surprise project on my Max 130D for the new lighting. Still trying trying to engineer it so it's really user friendly. We will see how it goes here in the next day or two.
I ran the lights at 4 hours today. Also, I have a new Ice Cap electronic ballast that should be here tomorrow. I will post pics of the light on both the Odyssea ballast and the Ice Cap. I am betting on a big difference. If not, I have my spare ballast at any rate and I will continue to use the one that came with the light set up first.
After I change up ballasts I may go to a Phoenix 14K or Helio 20K bulb. Just have to let it play out and see what things look like.
I really liked the cool running of the stock lighting system and the easy access. I know my electric bill is going to climb a bit now.
It's always a trade off.................................

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
What MH bulb are you running on your orbit fixture. Just curious, as your color looks great!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Todd - I'm running a 14K 150 watt lamp now. I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't Current or Phoenix. I'm probably due for a replacement soon, as I don't like to run the MH more than 6 months due to a drop in efficiency. I started with the stock 10K lamp, then went to a 20K, amd now the 14K. Of the 3, I prefer the look of the 14K best. A nice white/blue color. 10K was too yellow for me, and 20K too blue.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
Thanks! I have a 15K that came with the fixture now. The color is just so different then the power compact/ T5's that I had! Wow! It looks to be a bright white with a tinge of blue to it. I am waiting for my new ballast here today.
Before I go and purchase another bulb! I know alot of companies just stamp their name on the bulbs. So I would like to see how the color changes when I get the new ballast.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Todd - actually I have 4 T5s along with the 150W HQI, not PCs. I recently replaced the Current USA brand T5 bulbs (had 2 each of 420 and 460nm) with these:

2 x 24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent (ATI1009) by ATI
2 x 24W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent (UVL0017) by UV Lighting (UVL)

I get a lot nicer coloration and pop from the corals than I did with the Current USA bulbs. I got the new bulbs from ReefGeek - a bit pricier than the Current USA bulbs, but a noticeable difference, especially with only the T5s on.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
Those German T5's sure are nice aren't they? Great bulbs! Well, I got my ballast yesterday with a different plug on the end, so I have a new adapter plug coming today...
I knew I would be opening up a can of worms changing out my lighting. I just got tired of some of my sps not getting the colors I had hoped for with the flourescent lighting.
The IceCap ballast is awesome! Built like a tank!!! WOW! With a full three year warrantee!
I should be able to get it hooked up some time later today or this evening. I have a feeling things are going to get a whole lot brighter(then they already are) around here.
The corals(acros) at the top of the tank do not seem to be phased by the higher output lighting as of yet.
I am still at 4 hours right now. I will not change the duration due to hooking up the IceCap. I will take some par readings to compare both once it's hooked up.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Sounds good Todd! Let us know if you get the Icecap hooked up and if you can see a difference.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hi guys,
Good Morning! Well, I guess I got a bad Ice Cap ballast. I cannot get it to work at all. So, I am sending it back for another. I cannot get any noise or anything out of it. It will not fire the bulb at all.......:flaming: :rocket: :rocket: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :verymad: :verymad: :banghead: :bmcflme: See. I go through the same stuff you guys do!!!!!:spinner: :spinner:
Well, the ballast looks incredible sitting here though! LOL!!!! I will send it back Monday for a exchange!
Today is Reef-a-palooza! I will report to everyone what I get! Gonna start getting ready now.............
PS The Chinese ballast that came with the unit is working like a champ! I just bumped up to 5 hours a day now!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Bummer on the Icecap ballast. Be sure to let us know what you picked up today!

Dweezil

Well, it is good to know these things happen to everyone. hahah Can't wait to hear about Reef-a-palooza.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hi Guys,
Well, I am back..................and bought NOTHING at Reef-A-Palooza. Prices I thought where just too high for exotic corals.
There where quite a few neat things to look at though. I did get to speak to a IceCap rep. there! GUESS WHAT????????????????? Icecap ballasts ARE MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!
Seems no one here can do the labor and be cost competitive. WOW! I am very bummed by this!
There is a new ballast out that we checked out from a company called Lumatek that is pretty nice from what I could see.
I will put it in the Reef-A-Palooza post! So, I got a bad ballast I need to return come Monday morning.
There where alot of frags!!!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hah - Is anything not made in China? I'm starting to wonder. Well, there is Euro-Reef and Life Reef. :) I'm surprised the corals were all high priced - that was a bummer!

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
Yea, the corals I wanted where anyway!!!! Bubble Gum Chalice, Alien Eye Chalice, Mummy Chalice and so on. You can bet tomorrow they will be a whole lot cheaper!!! The never want to take them back!
I am going to start the write up here in a minute on the Reef A Palooza show. IT was fun, and I could have stayed longer. But I had a friend with me and did not want to be rude. He's not into it like we are!
IT got pretty crowded though!