Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!!

Marty,
You tank sounds nice! Can you post a pic of the Stylophora? Maybe I can help. What dolor was it originally? Did it turn white?
The Max lights are good for the majority of corals. If I kept my Acros closer to the surface I would have got some better coloration on some of them. Buit then no room to really grow out! So, I am opting for the higher wattage!
I am going from 158 to 278 I think it is! I should be good to go!

echopiece

It was a nice bright green when I bought it, and now it is fading to a very pale green. I will try and remember to post a pic tomorrow.

Mavjoy

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAV!!!!
How the heck are you! Sounds like you went with metals a while ago??? What wattage are you running? My lights are on 11-12 hours a day right now. If I get double the PAR from the 250 I will cut the run time in half and take it from there.
Not sure on the bulb. I know it's a 15000K HQI 250. I am anxious to see it tomorrow in action! I really prefer the 20Ks' , so with the 2 actinic T5's I should be pretty close.
How high is yours hanging above the tank?
Thanks, and nice to hear from you!

Sup man! I got my Outer Orbit 250w with 4 T5s last June. I really started slow with the halides and just kept it on for only 4 hrs total but its on now for 6 hrs. I might do 8 hrs for the halides and 10 hrs for the T5s when everything is said and done. I'm running 14K Phoenix and really like it. My T5's are 2 Blue+ and 2 Fiji Purple. Mine is about 6 1/2 inches above water. Make sure to post some pics of your "new look". Check RC for DIY for hanging kits..I can't find the link at the moment.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Good Morning RM,
Thanks for the links. I am hoping to be able to just use the legs! We will see when it arrives here today. My lights kick on at around 10:30 in the morning. It would be nice it the new set up arrives by then. Keeping my fingers crossed it works and nothing is broken,lol.
On a different note, I have a 5 gallon sparklets water bottle that I throw change in and save. I decided last night I would dump it and do a little counting to maybe use this money for Reef-A-Palooza this Saturday.
I was hoping to have 150.00 or so! Well, two hours later I was just over 600.00 in change!!!!:bigbounce :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
I am hoping for some great deals on frags. The thing is with these smaller tanks is you really need smaller frags.
Anyone else going?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Wow - your loose change bottle turned into a windfall "Change-A-Palooza" for Reef-A-Palooza! Wish it was close enough for me to attend. No room for corals, but it would be fun watching you do your frag shopping!

Keep us posted on the new light fixture!

redseareef

RS Sponsor

RM,
LOL. YEa, and I found about 6 wheat pennies, a silver mercury head dime and about 30 silver dollars. I am saving those! Well, I am going to limit myself to what i spend there. MAYBE 100.00???????
Anyway, lighting unit on UPS truck and headed this way!!!!!YAHHOOOOOO!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Based on the wheat pennies, Mercury dime, & silver dollars that change bottle must have been collecting change for quite a while! I'm glad you found no Indian Head pennies in there, or you'd have to be as old as I am LOL! Regular UPS "out for delivery" for my place can mean 6pm or later. I hope you don't have that long a wait!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

This sounds like Version 2 of "Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!!" :)

redseareef

RS Sponsor

I'm still blind from lookin at this darn thing! WOW!!!! New PAR levels:
1. 3 inches below water surface: was 425 w/ stock lights. Now 11-1300
2. Dead center below water surface was 270 w/ stock lights. Now 750
3. Very bottom on sand in tank center was 115-120 w/ stock lights. Now 400
This is a off brand light I bought. Not a more expensive Current USA model. The bulb is a 250 watt HQI bulb. 15000K I kinda like it. I think it is still burning in though.
The actinics are less to be desired. A very light blue. And I am not sure if it's due to the 14 watt power output, but they have a different look to them all together. Not sure what I think about them as of yet.
I may want to lose them altogether and go with a 250 watt 20K bulb. 20K has always been my favorite. I know it washed out the colors a bit. I will give this a try for a while.
The 250 watt MH will run three hours per day. I will gradually increase as time goes on.
Pics to come. Need to charge up the battery!

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Thanks Terry, Boy you talk about light energy! Sheesh, chiller kicking on much quicker now!
I told my daughter she can only watch TV once a week now for a bout a hour. With this new light, it's really gonna hit the wallet hard when the juice bill comes in........................................................LOL
She looked at my like......................................YEA RIGHT!!!!

redsea reefer

I told my daughter she can only watch TV once a week now for a bout a hour. With this new light, it's really gonna hit the wallet hard when the juice bill comes in........................................................LOL
She looked at my like......................................YEA RIGHT!!!!

Hahaha, good one Todd.

WOW, those par #'s sound crazy. I can imagine how bright they are..

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Eddie,
Yes, very bright! I am getting more used to it now though. I am sorta liking the color too. The bulb is burning in a little more.
My starfish that usually hides in the sand for the first time has come out and went half way up the sid eof the glass and is just sitting there! Soaking up some UV I presume for the vitamins!
Skimmer production has picked up now too! VERY INTERESTING!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Any ideas on why more skimmer production? Coincidence or something to do with increased coral metabolism?

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Terry,
I think increased metabolism without a doubt. Going from the stock lighting(well almost stock) to this light is a huge difference in intensity.
I got brave and ran it for 4 hours yesterday. The Acros seemed to love it. I got a increase in color on two of them already. I just have to be careful what I do and not bleach out some of the other LPS corals. I shoulf move a few things around today.
Hi mbdave,
Good to hear from you!The fixture I am guessing is a Odyssea brand. It's built by what looks to be the same company that makes the Current USA bodies. Built very nice. It cost me 85.00(bulbs included) so I cannot complain. Came with bulbs, remote electronic ballast and separate switches for everything. Even a fan for cooling!
My plan was to get a back up ballast for it, as I always keep a spare. I will purchase a Ice Cap 250 watt HQI electronic ballast for it and more then likely run it right away.
I have messed with different ballasts in the past. There is a huge difference in wattage outputs on many of the ballasts in todays market. I am going to test this electronic one today and see exactly what it's pumping out. I can bet it's well shy of the claimed 250 watt mark. MANY are. However, I know the Ice Caps are dead on!!! Under drivin bulbs will not deliver their full spectrum. I have seen this a few times. All in all I am very happy with the deal.