I understand the pain now of the RSM heaters...

proenca

I trully do.

Thankfully, I have a "loaner" flatmate : friend of mine, who also is a reefer and is living in our apartment for a couple of months due to work in another city but have to be in Lisbon for a few months.

So couple of days ago, he phoned me really scared because he arrived home and saw the Percula couple REALLY lethargic and although the corals were fine, they werent 100%. Started checking stuff and temperature were found to be at 19c .....

So I told him to cut off the chiller ( perhaps the chiller temperature controller went south ) and add an extra heater but nowhere I had one...

This was 21.00, I was still in the office and raced to a friends house to borrow a heater.

Got home around 22.00 and temperature was at 19.5...

Put the heater him and bought a Jager 250w to replace that RSM crap.

Still dont know what happened : took the heater off ( RSM one ) and was dead. Played with the temperature mark and it was dead. Then it came alive out of the blue. Then it stopped. Then it came alive.

Then I trashed it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Trashing that undependable RSM heater was the best thing to do! They really are junk! Good to hear that you caught it before losing any livestock or corals.

proenca

Terry : thank God everything seems ok.. I do have a few expensive corals there already : few blastomussas, a Acan, a rare Blue xenia.

all seem well after a couple of days of normal temperature though.

but man, couldnt they have put a decent heater on that thing ?

I never understood why hundreds of people were complaining about the heater... til now..

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Gonçalo - you were very fortunate you didn't lose anything with that drop to 19C (66.2 F). When my tank recently dropped to 22-23C during a power outage I lost my Flame Angel. I also don't understand why Red Sea doesn't use a higher quality heater - they have been junk since the older 130 models were released, and are still causing problems in the 250s.

russbooger

It seems everyone on here has had problems with the stock heater - luckily mine gave up the ghost before livestock was added, and now I always keep a spare!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I live in Florida so mine it actually turned off---all the time!! On the other side of the coin, I have to run a chiller year round :mad:

tnwillia

Glad it worked out OK. Most RSM heaters seen to fail in 3 months or less. Mine didn't last the first month.

That is the first story of a heater malfunction that didn't end up cooking the aquarium. Every other time I have heard of a heater going bad, it practically boiled everything.