Search results

1. Pawlu

Lantern Basslet and more..

2. Pawlu

Montipora plates touching each other.

Will they fight or get along? I have two plates that are now touching each other, they are different species.
  3. Pawlu

A year later!

So, a year later, been through some bad phases, made lots of mistakes, dealt with GHA and Cyano outbreaks, but balance prevailed and things are now moving on the right track. Attached are some shots..
  4. Pawlu

Magnesium dropping, not sure why..

So my average magnesium reading use to be a steady 1340 ppm for a long time. I last tested it about a month ago and it was 1340. Today I decided to test it before my weekend water change and I was surprised to get a reading of 1110ppm. I decided take a reading from my fresh salt water...
  5. Pawlu

The Importance of Cleaning your RO and Salt Water holding tanks!

Ok so I thought I would share this tip, many advanced hobbyist's might already know it, however considering I now have 1 year of reef keeping experience and have read countless articles, I never came across this topic. This all started as I decided to ramp up my efforts and eliminate the GHA...
  6. Pawlu

Tom's Aqua Lifter for fresh air injection?

I would like to know if anybody is using an Aqua Lifter pump as an air pump to draw outside air in. This winter here in Canada has been brutal so far resulting in the house being sealed up a lot longer than usual. I am currently working on stabilizing pH in my tank which has a high of around...
  7. Pawlu

Green Star Polyps turning silvery white.

Recently I would say over the last month my GSP (large piece growing over a large rock) has been turning silvery white. It does not appear sickly, and still opens up its polyps during the day and closes at night, however it has lost its green color. I have been fighting an outbreak of GHA...
  8. Pawlu

Recommended Skimmer for Nuvo 38 Gallon Reef!

Fire away, I am looking for a powerful, east to fit, maintain and install skimmer for my Innovative Marine 38 Gallon Mini Nuvo. I am looking at replacing my existing air driven skimmer. Thanks
  9. Pawlu

Help with GHA & Red Slime Cyano.

My tank 38Gallon Nuvo has been running for approx 7 months now , and over the last month or so I started having problems with Red Slime Cyno and Green Hair Algae (sometimes brown looking). I know the main causes for algae outbreaks so to mention a few things up front: tank is not overstocked...
  10. Pawlu

Tunze 3155 Pumping water on power on!

Ok so I setup a new Tunze 3155 this weekend, for the most part it seems to be working well, I have the sensors in my overflow and adjusted them in such a way that when I power off pumps for maintenance the high level alarm is not triggered off. The issue I have though is that if I turn off...
  11. Pawlu

Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

A week ago I purchased a decent sized Kenya Tree, it had two trunks/stems attached to a very small base, so far no matter where I place the coral in the tank it keeps bending over and lying flat, at it's base there is also black stuff, which appears to be some kind of skin/shedding. This is...
  12. Pawlu

Help with selecting a Soft Coral for placement close to Montipora.

I need some help finding a tall growing, full, non rigid (so flowing and swaying with water movement) coral that can be placed in close (Inches) next to Montipora. The coral will be placed to the right bottom of the picture shown below (a little behind the watchman goby), with the intention of...
  13. Pawlu

Phosphate Reducing Media Pads? Pros/Cons etc..

I am in the process or replacing the stock Media Cartridge that came with my Innovative Marine 38 with an InTank model that is far larger and offers a lot more room for media. Currently my media basket contains in the order of (top to bottom). Large particle sponges, filter floss (big als...
  14. Pawlu

Anybody have any experience with Wattronix CombiSkim air driven Skimmers?

I currently own a CombiSkim, these are very basic, nearly DIY type looking skimmers that are air driven with a wooden airstone. I got one free with my new 38 Gallon Innovative Marine. I plan on replacing it down the road with a higher end model, but in the meantime I would like to try and get...
  15. Pawlu

Top Off Water with a 1/2 or diluted salt Mixture.

I fully understand that salt does not evaporate, however I have been closely watching my gravity with every fresh water top up and notice that by the end of the week my gravity drops by about 1 to 2 degrees. In my case 1.026 down to 1.024. This is happening on a new 38 Gallon Innovative marine...
  16. Pawlu

Need Help With ID of a couple of Coral's

I will be moving both of these Corals from my small nano tank to a new 38 Gallon tank. I want to make sure I identify them correctly to make sure I place them in the correct location in the new tank. They have been in the existing tank for about 8 months and are "Surviving" but certainly not...
  17. Pawlu

1 Year old 6 Gallon Nano!

Just some pics of my 6 Gallon nano, all the life in this tank will be moved to a new bigger 38 Gallon Nuvo that is cycling. Enjoy!
  18. Pawlu

Suggested Filtration media for new 38 Gallon Reef Tank with Built in Overflow.

I would like some suggestions of what to put in the overflow chambers for filtration (all stages). My LFS suggested I simply use chemical filtration (Premium Activated Carbon and Phosphate removal (Pura Phoslock), and filter wool for mechanical filtration that is replaced regularly. I also...
  19. Pawlu

Specific Case Sandbed Question on new Tank!

Ok, I want to avoid starting a new debate of the pros/cons of sand beds , deep sand beds or no sand beds at all. I have read a lot of good and bad about both, personally I like the look of sand beds, plus I also love sand dwelling fish (gobies) and shrimp (pistol shrimps) so having a sand bed...
  20. Pawlu

38 Gallon Innovative Marine Nano Reef Project.

Hello Everybody, new to this forum, over the past 3 months my wife and I have been working on a 38 Gallon Reef project. I am very new to marine aquariums (only a year or so experience, and only a few months keeping basic soft corals in my 6 gallon nano). Anyways before I start posting timeline...