Tom's Aqua Lifter for fresh air injection?

Pawlu

I would like to know if anybody is using an Aqua Lifter pump as an air pump to draw outside air in. This winter here in Canada has been brutal so far resulting in the house being sealed up a lot longer than usual. I am currently working on stabilizing pH in my tank which has a high of around 8.0 and a low of about 7.5. I know the swing is too much, I also know my pH needs to be in the 8.3 range, which is why I am working on tackling the situation. One of the methods I would like to use is fresh air injection.

At night the pH drops from around 8.0 to 7.75, so around 5.30 am it is at the 7.75 mark and does not reach the 8 mark till around 2/3pm. If I open a door or window the pH increases to around 7.78 in about an hour, however this is not practical and cannot be done in the dead of winter.

I am looking at a way of drawing outside air into the system at night, I have an air driven skimmer without the ability to hook up a venturi to it. Somebody on this forum mentioned the use of the Tom's Aqua lifter.

The idea would be to run a line from outside to its inlet, then hooking up its outlet line to the air pump tubing (via a t adapter) (somewhere close to the skimmer cup) hopefully resulting in fresh air injection and less of a pH drop at night. The distance from the tom's air pump inlet to the outside would be around 4-5 feet of tubing.

Will this work? Has anybody else tried it? Any idea of how much air Tom's AL pump can draw in etc.

Thanks

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I can't comment on whether the aqua lifter will or will not work however, is there any reason why you can't have the fresh air coming in drawn directly by the skimmer?

Pawlu

The skimmer is a basic one, simply air driven, no intake anywhere on it. Not sure how I could get it to draw fresh air in.

Mike Johnson

What skimmer is it that you have? Also, I think you'll have better success with a simple air pump and air stone. Nothing against aqualifter, I use three of them.