Phosphate Reducing Media Pads? Pros/Cons etc..

Pawlu

I am in the process or replacing the stock Media Cartridge that came with my Innovative Marine 38 with an InTank model that is far larger and offers a lot more room for media. Currently my media basket contains in the order of (top to bottom). Large particle sponges, filter floss (big als stock), GFO in a filter sack and finally Carbon in a filter sack. Filter floss is tossed out weekly, and GFO and Carbon replaced monthly.

I am considering purchasing these phosphate media pads, or a similar product to add to the media basket: Phosphate Reducing Media Pad Any good reason as to why not to use this product or similar?

I do not have algae problems but I'm trying to be as pro-active as possible. 5 Gallons of water is replaced weekly.

Thanks

DaveK

Personally I have never gotten very good results from phosphate removing pads. I think your much better off using a quality GFO in a media reactor.

If you thing the pads might work for you, get one and try it, before you get a whole supply of them.

Pawlu

I plan on investing in a good GFO media reactor too, and possibly running a combination of the two. How long should phosphate pads be left running, would replacing them once a month be adequate?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If I remember correctly, they change color once exhausted.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

Doogle

Having the pads as a backup in case your GFO gets exhausted is a good idea IMO, might do that myself.

jennleepres

It would be best to replace the phosphate media pad before it exhaust within the month due to the fact that it will release what it's already absorbed back into your system. Your phosphate level plays a part in it as well, so if your level is high, of course it will exhaust sooner.

Pawlu

I have emailed the company (Acurel) to find out what their recommendations are, will post response once I get it.

Doogle: yes that's kind of the idea I had, to run as a supplementary medium, I'm just trying to be as pro-active as possible and try to avoid any serious Algae breakouts. It's worth a try anyways! Thanks all for feedback.