Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

Pawlu

A week ago I purchased a decent sized Kenya Tree, it had two trunks/stems attached to a very small base, so far no matter where I place the coral in the tank it keeps bending over and lying flat, at it's base there is also black stuff, which appears to be some kind of skin/shedding. This is the only coral I am having trouble with, all other corals are fine, ironically it is supposed to be the hardiest and easiest to care for, yet its the one that looks most miserable. I will post some pictures shortly, but in the meantime, some advice and suggestions would be great. Note I tried (high flow/ low flow as well as high light, low light areas) with no luck. It simply won't open up properly.

Thanks

Pawlu

Here are a couple of images one with flash the other without after I manually up righted it for a bit.

IMG_0070_zps3cfc34e4.jpg

IMG_0071_zps50297f44.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The base of the coral does not look like healthy tissue. I might consider cutting the tops off and getting rid of the sick tissue. If you're area is like mine, you can always find someone giving away Kenya trees or selling it real cheap.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

Pawlu

That's Whippet guys, so I literally cut it off from its base? and if so how would I re-attach it to a base rock?

I questioned the base at the store and I was told that it was simply shedding it's skin. I have had this coral for about a week in the tank, but as mentioned it cannot stay upright.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
cut the trees off the decaying tissue, and put the pieces in a glass/plastic bowl with some rubble and a mesh net over it, leave it in the tank for a 2-4 weeks. Its a soft coral like mushrooms. it will re attach on its own.

Pawlu

cut the trees off the decaying tissue, and put the pieces in a glass/plastic bowl with some rubble and a mesh net over it, leave it in the tank for a 2-4 weeks. Its a soft coral like mushrooms. it will re attach on its own.

Where exactly do I put the mesh? I have a Quarantine Tank that I moved it into (already cut it off the base), I also have gravel but not rubble, I have some live rock that I can break up though if needs be.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
put it in a glass or plastic bowl with some rubble(rocks the size of a quarter or golfball) Put the mesh over the bowl to keep the tank flow from blowing the pieces of coral out of the bowl. They need water and light, but they need calm water so they can attach to the rocks or mesh to keep them in the bowl with the rocks.

Pawlu

put it in a glass or plastic bowl with some rubble(rocks the size of a quarter or golfball) Put the mesh over the bowl to keep the tank flow from blowing the pieces of coral out of the bowl. They need water and light, but they need calm water so they can attach to the rocks or mesh to keep them in the bowl with the rocks.

Great thanks, all set up as instructed, hopefully it will recover.

rufus2008

What I do for kenya tree's is to pierce the bottom of the trunk with a plastic toothpick, secure the toothpick with rubber bands to the rock you want it attached to, leave it for 2 weeks, remove elastics and toothpicks and voila kenya tree is attached.

Pawlu

Just wanted to report back on this, and what solved the problem. I cut off a small piece off the base (unhealthy tissue), allowed it 2 weeks to recover in a QT tank just sitting in a bowl with little water movement. I then got some aquascape molding putty and create a base for it by molding the putty over the bottom of the coral stump. From there I transferred the coral into the main tank (putty still workable) and attached the putty to a piece of live rock. The Kenya tree is doing well and opening up fully during the day.