Help with selecting a Soft Coral for placement close to Montipora.

Pawlu

I need some help finding a tall growing, full, non rigid (so flowing and swaying with water movement) coral that can be placed in close (Inches) next to Montipora. The coral will be placed to the right bottom of the picture shown below (a little behind the watchman goby), with the intention of hiding the frame work used to prop the staircase aquascape as well as give the illusion of a cave entrance. The shelving rock is going to primarily host montipora corals. I am looking for something that will not sting or impede the growth of the montipora. That area of the tank has medium to low lighting (at the bottom), with medium to high waterflow.

IMG_00351_zpse4a0137f.jpg

Thanks in advance.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Most coral that come to mind would need to be "managed" in order to keep them from spreading all across your rockwork but that's not hard to do you just can't slack off.

• Kenya Tree
  • Xenia
  • Anthellia
  • Devils Finger Leather
  • Toadstool

Pawlu

Thanks BigAls7, as you can see I have a Xenia in the back which has ample space and is doing very well, the approach I am trying to take with this tank is avoiding too much diversity and sticking to similar groups and species as much as possible. I was thinking of the possibility of another Xenia (possibly white, and I think purple/red exist too). As for the trimming, never had to do it before, but if I get to that stage I will be happy about it as its an indicator that things were and are being done right.

And as you can see there is a baby toadstool anchored to the edge of one of the shelf rocks ( 3rd right from the bottom) and a small Xenia tree too (3 rd left from the bottom).

Pawlu

I looked up the Anthellia, and seems to be a perfect fit: "Anthelia needs low to moderate light. It's a soft coral, and it's closely related to xenia, so it's not hard to keep at all. It tends to spread pretty quickly and can take over if it's left unchecked."

theplantman

Ora has a couple of very cool softies you might consider:

Blue Cespitularia and Green Sinularia: I have grown both these in the past and they show great color. The Cespitularia is only 4" mature but sinularia species can go 10-20" but i am not sure about ORA's variety.

Pawlu

I ended up picking up a large Anthelia, its purple/redish in color, it still adjusting, it came on a very small piece of rock which I was unable to secure with glue to other rock properly due to the weight of the coral itself. I ended up having to bury the rock base into the substrate and move a larger rock against it to keep it steady. It still has not opened up to its full glory yet, considering how hardy everybody says this coral is, it seems to be the longest one to adjust.