Search results

1. kv2wr1

Not sure, but think it's uronema.

Last night I noticed a small white patch on my trigger with a tiny bit of redness (no hemorrhaging). It did not look blood streaked like uronema usually looks (I have seen it at a lfs in their chromis). I thought it was a cut and may have gotten infected since my tang had tail whipped him, but I...
  2. kv2wr1

Looking for that final fish or two.

Looking to add a final fish or two for my FOWLR. I have a 180g display, 40g sump, a skimmer rated for 200g heavy bioload (500 g light) and 2 reactors (1 carbon and 1 gfo). I do 20% weekly water changes (could get away with 10%). 0 (undetectable) ammonia, 0 (undetectable) nitrite, nitrates...
  3. kv2wr1

Feeding an empty fowlr

I saw the thread that metioned keeping a fish tank fallow for 10 weeks if there was an ich outbreak and that got me thinking about something. I didn't want to hijack that thread so I decided to start a new one. If you truely had a fowlr with no inverts or clean up crew what so ever, would you...
  4. kv2wr1

Keeping a quarantine's biological filtration going after use.

I saw in the sticky that you could either feed it fish food or return the biomedia to the sump of the display. Can you use a few drops of pure ammonium chloride to keep it going as well if you didn't want to use food? Here is an example of ammonium chloride: Ammonium Chloride Solution for...
  5. kv2wr1

Questions on Quarantine & Fresh water dip process for a puffer?

Hi All, I read the sticky about acclimation and freshwater dip processes. I am wondering how would you do this for a puffer? Would you skip the freshwater dip procees and just acclimate them to quarantine? The reason I ask is I have read that if a puffer is out of water and gets startled...
  6. kv2wr1

Chloroquine Phosphate

Has anyone ever used this to treat ich, velvet, brook or bacterial diseases or as a preventative? I'm starting to see more on this online and have also seen this in frozen medicated fish foods as well as water additives. It is an anti-malaria drug as well. I have never used this and don't...
  7. kv2wr1

Maracyn 2 for saltwater fish availability

I'm noticing a lot of places online and locally that are not carrying this or have very limitted availability. I'm not sure if there is such a high demand for it or if the manufacturer has stopped making it. Is there a medication that you would recommend in its place? I don't need it right now...
  8. kv2wr1

Do certain fish use sand substrate to digest their food?

I've heard from somewhere that certain fish like tangs actually ingest some sand to help them digest their food. Is this true? I've seen people with bare bottom tanks have tangs so I have always wondered this.
  9. kv2wr1

Looking for suggestions on media reactors for a FOWLR

Hi, I need either a carbon, gfo or both media reactors for a 180g w/ a 40g sump. This tank will be a FOWLR with some messy eaters (at least 1 trigger and 1 puffer). On my 40g reef I used to run a single BRS media reactor half carbon and half GFO. What would you recommend for the 180? I was...
  10. kv2wr1

Using biopelets in a fowlr

Hi. When I bought my skimmer, I got a free 1 liter container of some bio pellets. I know reefers mostly use these, but was wondering if anyone keeping a fowlr has used these? I've heard that the higher bioload in a fowlr may cause bacterial blooms with biopellets, but have also heard that...
  11. kv2wr1

Some questions regarding cupramine and deworming meds.

I read the stickies abot treating with copper and deworming. Can you feed your fish food soaked in prazipro while they are in copper treatment? My fish are eating, but very little. They have 1 more week to go (June 3rd will be day 14 at 0.5 ppm) so if you think I should wait it out, I will do...
  12. kv2wr1

Best way to reinforce a used stand

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/014/26702_400wh.jpg What is the best way to reinforce a used stand? The stand I have is the black pine stand for an aqueon 180g (72 x 24 x 28) see link above. The picture is too big to attach. So far I have just added "L" brackets with deck screws to the...
  13. kv2wr1

Cyanide poisoning suspect

My coral beauty just died yesterday rather oddly. I noticed him swimming towards the top of the tank breathing rapidly. Then he went head up tail down and did three massive swirls where finally he laid dead at the bottom of the tank. His color was the most beautiful I have ever seen him. He was...
  14. kv2wr1

Questions about dosing Cupramine.

I read the sticky about treating with copper, but I didn't see anything about calculating the right amount for the correct concentration of cupramine needed. Since I have a dwarf angel, tang and clowns in the hospital tank, should the concetration level be 0.3 to 0.4 ppm on account of the dwarf...
  15. kv2wr1

What is this on my tang.

16. kv2wr1

How to quickly yet safely bring fish out of Hypo to treat with copper.

Here is the delema I have. I have a 75g quarantine tank that has 2 clowns, a coral beauty and a baby regal in it. The clowns and the coral beauty were in my 40b that I took down. The baby regal was a rescue. They will be eventually going into a 180g (currently have, but not up and running) and...
  17. kv2wr1

Hi

Hi, my name is Eric and I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to finally register. :) Right now I just have a 75g quarantine tank up and running with fish in it, but hope to have my 180g up and running soon. I've been in the hobby for a few years now and am always learning...