How to quickly yet safely bring fish out of Hypo to treat with copper.

kv2wr1

Here is the delema I have. I have a 75g quarantine tank that has 2 clowns, a coral beauty and a baby regal in it. The clowns and the coral beauty were in my 40b that I took down. The baby regal was a rescue. They will be eventually going into a 180g (currently have, but not up and running) and then a larger tank (when the tang gets bigger). The fish were put in my 75g quarantine tank and on week 4 I saw some spots on the tang. I previously gave the fish a freshwater bath before quarantine, but that doesn't always get everything so I started hypo on Sunday.The spots went away and all seemed well. This morning I see a goldish and white dusting on the tang so I'm guessing it is velvet. I'm going to get some copper and a test kit after work. How should I bring them out of hyposalinity quickly enough to treat with cupramine? Should I do this over the course of a few days? I've learned an importannt lesson to qt one fish at a time and will not ever make this mistake again.

leebca

About the only suggestion I can recommend for raising the salinity is given in the hyposalinity process post: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nts/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

Raise sp. gr. no more than 0.003 sp. gr. units per day. The process should take at least 6 days.

HOWEVER, if you plan on treating with Cupramine, you can begin that treatment immediately, following the medicine directions carefully, while you slowly raise the salinity/sp. gr. When you add the Cupramine (according to its instructions) you don't add the full amount of coppeer at the outset, but you add it in two portions, 24 hours apart. Follow the instructions on the medication closely.

That size QT for those fishes, seems to be too big for being a good QT, but will be fine for a hospital tank. Good luck!