Search results

1. J

Algae takeover!

Hi guys: I have a Red Sea 130D with about 40 pounds of live rock, some zoanthids, Kenya trees, and Xenia. My problem is that I'm looking to sell my tank in a couple of months and that at the moment it's filled with algae and chaeto. I maintain it, doing 1/4 water changes twice a month, I have an...
  2. J

Biopellets on a RSM 130d?

Hi: I have been wondering if a bio pellet reactor would be a good idea on my Red Sea 130D 34 gallon? I have an upgraded skimmer that i would mod with a T fitting so that the output of the reactor would go right into the skimmer. Ive been told that this could work but just want to verify and get...
  3. J

WavySea wavemaker on RSM 130D?

Hi guys, Im wondering what your thoughts are on putting one of these on a RSM 130D instead of an Ecotech? Saw one for sale at a good price and hear that they are the Top Of The Line wavemaker! i think i would have trouble mounting but once mounted or figured out it would be awesome. Il post a...
  4. J

Whats the correct way to do a full and complete water change?

Hi: I have a RSM 130D and it's been running close to two years now. I love it! Anyways.... Everytime I do a water change/full maintenance on it I feel that I've never done enough. I'm planning on a full maintenance later today. I was wondering if I can get some input or steps on how to do a...
  5. J

HELP! Need RO/DI water but can't find any because store closed early today!

Need RO/DI water but can't find any because store closed early today! I'm going on a business trip and wife doesn't know how to do anything for the tank. Anyone know if deionized water will work? Or distilled? I need a substitute of water! Please help
  6. J

Washing RO/DI filters in bleach....

Hey guys is doing the above smart or safe? Reason I'm asking is fellow reefer is selling system with some extra filters that he said were used only for couple of monthes then dipped in bleach and washed... It's a 50 gpd coral life for 75 bucks. Thoughts?
  7. J

Coco worm care

Hey guys does anyone know how to properly care for a coco worm? Proper levels of calcium and alk? Food and such. Everything. This is not only for me but all of google as well because there is barely any info out there. Thanks
  8. J

Acclimating coconut worm to my tank

Hey guys just purchased this beautiful coconut worm and wanted to get your opinion on acclimating. ATM I am bucket acclimating but when it comes to lighting how should I acclimate? I have all LEDs and I'm pretty sure it was kept with metal halides
  9. J

HOG UAS Scrubber by Santa Monica on RSM 130d

Hey guys just installed the newly released UAS Algae Turf Scrubber by Santa Monica. Took a little finicking but finally got it done! I am using the smallest petco brand air pump with a check valve. Have the lights set to go on at 12am and off at 6pm. Hopefully this will help with nuisance algae...
  10. J

Replacing all my rock!!! Trading out for new cured rock!

Hey guys title practically says it all..... I'm going to trade pound for pound rock because the rock I have is covered in Xenia and Kenya trees along with who knows what..... Anyways the rock I will be getting should be fully cured and cycled. My question is will my tank go through a cycle if...
  11. J

Need help refraining myself from murdering my tank!

I need suggestions to help me refrain from murdering my fish tank! I have a purple pseudochromis that is uncatchable! What should I do? Is there a safe way to kill the fish and not bother the corals? Please suggestions
  12. J

Thinking about killing the Xenia that's taken over!

Hey guys, I have been thinking about killing the Xenia that I have in my tank.... I really like the way it flows but the color is very plain and it spreads and takes up a lot of tank space... I know that Kalk paste kills them. If I go this route how often should I do water changes so that my...
  13. J

Just bought a phosban reactor and mp10 for 100 bucks!

Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know that if you search the Internet you will eventually find a deal.... Found someone getting out of the hobby and bought their stuff. One mp10 blue box and a phosban reactor 150 with a 404 marineland pump for 100 bucks! Should ship out tomorrow!
  14. J

How much Kalk to dose?

Hi: I am wondering how much kalkwasser to add to my top off system? I have the Tunze kit 68 with the calcium dispenser. I was told that the rule of thumb was 1tsp per gallon to start out with.... The question i have is if the rule refers to gallons of top off or gallons of saltwater? This...
  15. J

DIY fish trap that will make you and your belly smile!

Hey guys I have just come across a wonderful idea and I put it to paper. And after 5 minutes built it and I am waiting for the results. This prized piece of equipment is a fish trap built from an empty container of gilato (which is Italian for great tasting ice cream)! What you do is first go to...
  16. J

New tunze comline filter line!

Hey guys I am resetting up an old 20 g tank I have and was thinking of using the new COMLINE filter 250 pack by tunze. It looks sweet! If not that filter I need some other ideas..... I don't want a sump and I am trying to Avoid HOB filters like the aquaclear. Any ideas
  17. J

Curing live rock

Hey guys I'm looking to cure 30 pounds of live rock that I have obtained from another reefer whose take had crashed. First thing first how do I make sure everything on the rock is dead? It's sitting in a tub of freshwater but with that do it or should I poor vinegar on it or something? Second...
  18. J

How to photograph corals and tank with blue lights?

Hey guys, I am wondering how you guys take pictures of your tank with the blue lights on
  19. J

Just purchased a custom led rsm hood and its awesome!!

Hey guys, I just purchased my first LED top from Reef Plenish here in Hickory, NC. The hood is beautiful. It retained the clean cut, stock look to it that makes the RSM great! The color spectrum he chose is amazing and has everything in the tank popping and glowing! Plus it has plugins for the...
  20. J

Just bought first ATO!!!

Hey guys i just purchased a tunze Kit 68 which includes an osmolater 3115, a calcium dispenser, and a 7.1 gallon bucket! And the best part is........... I only paid 175 for it! Got it installed in 30 minutes and everything is operational. Even got some free kalk with it.