How much Kalk to dose?

jake9015

Hi: I am wondering how much kalkwasser to add to my top off system? I have the Tunze kit 68 with the calcium dispenser. I was told that the rule of thumb was 1tsp per gallon to start out with.... The question i have is if the rule refers to gallons of top off or gallons of saltwater? This morning i added 1 tsp of kalwasser and was going to add from there. Anyways should i be referring to gallons of ATO water or gallons of saltwater? Thanks

jpsika08

I would say to RO water, mix it well in the container, you don't want concentrated kalk in your tank.

jake9015

I know that haha but how much? I mix
It in the calcium dispenser but how
Many tsp is what I need. 1 per gallon of RO or 1 per gallon of tank water?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
you can only have so much in suspension, your better to mix it at 1 tsp per gallon of ro/di water, wait 24 hrs and just use the clear water not the slurry (add more ro/di to that and kalk) saturation can be increased using vinegar but thats another story for later, start slow and watch ph

jake9015

I added one teaspoon to a 5 gallon
Bucket which is good! I have the tunze calcium dispenser (soda bottle looking thing) so everything is a little confusing

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The amount you use will depend on the demand of your system. I started out using 1/2 tsp per gallon of RO water in my top off. Then I tested daily to see the effects. I noticed my Ca still dropping. So the next time I mixed 1 tsp per gallon of RO water and test daily. This level kept my Ca stable, Alk up and Ph was fine, so that is the dose that currently works for me. Now, as my SPS grow and demand more, I might have to add more but for right now this is my level.

jake9015

Okay....
But what about how much will dissolve? Like I said I am using a tunze calcium dispenser that holds about a gallon of water but sits in the RO reservoir where there is 7 gallons.... Do I dose for one gallon
Or dose for 7?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd guess and say you would add enough for 1g since that is where the Kalk is being mixed.

I mix mine to about 2tsp per gallon which happens to be around 8 tsp for my 4g container.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Okay....
But what about how much will dissolve? Like I said I am using a tunze calcium dispenser that holds about a gallon of water but sits in the RO reservoir where there is 7 gallons.... Do I dose for one gallon
Or dose for 7?

I think the calcium dispenser is for liquid calcium and is adding a small amount to the water as its dispensed, so... you should mix water in 5 gallon batches, draw off the clear fluid and ignore the dispenser as you will be dosing kalkwasser at whatever 1/2,1,2 tsp's a gallon

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Are you sure? I'm not doubting you because you are very educated but that doesn't sound right

lol if you only knew haha, just use the unit as a top off devise and it can do no harm, start with a low concentration and test your water every couple of days, the only way you can really overdose is if your losing water from the tank, still very hard to do any harm at 1/2 tsp a gallon.
Just read through THIShttp://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x5074.8888.pdf the tunze instructions, I would not use this devise personally I see a high chance of error due to it being very overcomplicated, if you have the ato unit just add clear kalkwasser and your good to go

jake9015

Thanks so much sas! I had already added 1tsp into the reactor just as a start and il watch what happens..... I dont have very much evaporation due to my room being good temp and my LEDs

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jake if you're using KALK paste on your Xenia you may want to suspend your use of KALK in your top off. You're asking to do several different "touchy" things all at the same time. When you start mixing up several different actions at one time you're more likely to cause issues. Go slow and keep it simple and you'll fair MUCH better long-term.