Curing live rock

jake9015

Hey guys I'm looking to cure 30 pounds of live rock that I have obtained from another reefer whose take had crashed. First thing first how do I make sure everything on the rock is dead? It's sitting in a tub of freshwater but with that do it or should I poor vinegar on it or something? Second how do I cure this thing can someone provide in depth instructions please:)? Third will adding nitrifying bacteria chemicals speed up my curing process? Thanks

Doogle

If you kill everything on it it won't be live rock, it will become dry rock, I wouldn't kill it. Place it in a tub with saltwater and a powerhead/ heater and let it cure. Scrub it occasionally if it's got a lot of die off and change ome old saltwater or new saltwater if it gets real high ammonia. No chemicals!

jake9015

I think I made mistake then! Because I soaked it in fresh water. Tap to
Be exact haha. So how do I make dry rock live?

Doogle

Soak it in saltwater or a while and add a new piece of live rock to it, it should seed the dry rock.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
U make live rock live by adding it to a cycled tank and allowing it to absorb the nitrifying bacteria.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

jake9015

So I would need to setup the new tank, buy like 5 pounds of seeded rock, and then put the old rock back into the tank so the new 5 pounds of rock can be made live? Sounds simple enough

DaveK

Hey guys I'm looking to cure 30 pounds of live rock that I have obtained from another reefer whose take had crashed. First thing first how do I make sure everything on the rock is dead? It's sitting in a tub of freshwater but with that do it or should I poor vinegar on it or something? Second how do I cure this thing can someone provide in depth instructions please:)? Third will adding nitrifying bacteria chemicals speed up my curing process? Thanks

Well, good LR should have never been put in FW. So now it's all dead, and with the additional problem of possible dead stuff on it. This may not be as bad as it sounds, because it may have already been dead, since it came out of a crashed tank. Here is what I would do -

Get a large round Rubbermaid trash can, that is big enough to hold the rock. First cure this container. Fill it with water, and add cheep rock salt to get the SG up to 1.025. It need not be exact. DO NOT ADD YOUR ROCK TO THIS. Let the container sit a couple of days, rinse with FW and fill with FW and let it sit over night. If you do not smell any "plastic or chemical smell", the container is ready for use.

Fill the container with SW, and adjust your SG and temp to what you plan to keep your tank at. Now add your rock. Also add a powerhead and a heater to maintain flow and temp. Add a deli shrimp, and a few pieces of good new LR. You are going to cycle the rock outside the main tank. Yes, it can smell from the decay of the shrimp. Test for the usual ammonia and nitrite to go up and then fall back to 0. As a note, also test for copper. It the rock was ever in a tank treated with copper, it will leach out. This is really bad for a reef. In that case discard the rock and get all new rock.

Once you get the rock cured, set up your main tank, add water and adjust water parameters. Now move the Rock from the curing container to the main tank. You may now see another small cycle in the main tank.

Note the the rock has been seeded and cured outside the main tank. There is a reason for this. Any nitrated produced during the curing process are left behing in the curing container, and not introduced into the main tank. Also, if you do have a copper issue, that didn't get into the main tank either.

In my opinion adding chemicals and other similar stuff to speed up the cureing process is a complete waste of time and money.

dmatt88

Well, good LR should have never been put in FW. So now it's all dead, and with the additional problem of possible dead stuff on it. This may not be as bad as it sounds, because it may have already been dead, since it came out of a crashed tank. Here is what I would do -

Get a large round Rubbermaid trash can, that is big enough to hold the rock. First cure this container. Fill it with water, and add cheep rock salt to get the SG up to 1.025. It need not be exact. DO NOT ADD YOUR ROCK TO THIS. Let the container sit a couple of days, rinse with FW and fill with FW and let it sit over night. If you do not smell any "plastic or chemical smell", the container is ready for use.

Fill the container with SW, and adjust your SG and temp to what you plan to keep your tank at. Now add your rock. Also add a powerhead and a heater to maintain flow and temp. Add a deli shrimp, and a few pieces of good new LR. You are going to cycle the rock outside the main tank. Yes, it can smell from the decay of the shrimp. Test for the usual ammonia and nitrite to go up and then fall back to 0. As a note, also test for copper. It the rock was ever in a tank treated with copper, it will leach out. This is really bad for a reef. In that case discard the rock and get all new rock.

Once you get the rock cured, set up your main tank, add water and adjust water parameters. Now move the Rock from the curing container to the main tank. You may now see another small cycle in the main tank.

Note the the rock has been seeded and cured outside the main tank. There is a reason for this. Any nitrated produced during the curing process are left behing in the curing container, and not introduced into the main tank. Also, if you do have a copper issue, that didn't get into the main tank either.

In my opinion adding chemicals and other similar stuff to speed up the cureing process is a complete waste of time and money.

Well that left nothing to add. Bravo. Very well stated.

dmatt88

If ya wanna get all the yuck off then yes. N stir it up. Move rocks. Swoosh em around. Drain the poo water n re do it. PS don't tell anyone but I've used tap water for this process. Then used rodi to finish. Shhhhhhhh.

dmatt88

I wouldn't over complicate the process. If ya wanna kill everything on the rock use tap. Its just a pre bath before the rinse. Me? I use tap. A more diligent reefer may use rodi. Ur killing the rock. Once ur done u set it out to cure n then u need to.get serious about the handling. I've dried stuff out on my garage floor. At this point its tough to go wrong.

jake9015

Alright so should I boil, dip in acid, sit it in the sun? I need instructions on the step after I put in tap water which is what I did

dmatt88

Ur trying to.kill the inhabitants correct? Put the rock in tap water with a powerhead. Let set for a few days. Dump water n repeat. Shake n stir. Kill the yuckies on it. Then replace with rodi n do the same. After the garbage can quits stinking u can feel secure its ready for the tank. No acid. No salt. No chemical.

jake9015

Well the inhabitants has been dead.... I am trying to completely cleanse the rock so that it is all white and looks like it just came in. I want to get everything that's on it off

dmatt88

OK. Once all is dead (as u say it is now) then boil it. It'll stink but boil it. Then set in sunlight for a few days n u have white rock.

dmatt88

U can dip anything in acid but why. Sas? Help.