Thinking about killing the Xenia that's taken over!

jake9015

Hey guys,
I have been thinking about killing the Xenia that I have in my tank.... I really like the way it flows but the color is very plain and it spreads and takes up a lot of tank space... I know that Kalk paste kills them. If I go this route how often should I do water changes so that my other corals arnt harmed?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You can dip the infected rock in a 5 gallon bucket with 1-2 fluke tabs. Dead in a week max!

jake9015

I also heard that I can inject them with Kalk paste which is just easier because all that rock is heavy! Anyways while the Xenia dies do I do water changes or will there now be any effects?

reeferman

you can kalk them but they probably will come back but then treat again.its a good idea to suck out the dying xenia once it starts to fall apart,which is pretty quick with kalk.just be sure to turn all pumps off and keep the kalk on the xenia,dont let it drift onto other corals.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If it weren't for my GSP I would gladly nuke my tanks to get rid of nasties like Xenia but more like Clove Polyps. I've got them on the run with other means but a "Fluke Nuke" is much easier for sure.

Be SURE to get every little piece of the Xenia out because one small spot will grow into a thriving colony if the tank conditions are right. Been there done that LOL.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What's an example of a softy? Are zoas or mushrooms softies? Please explain to me what a softie is?

Yessiree. Typically by defination softies r those corals without a calcified skeleton.

..........used coral frags. half off.

steved13

PREMIUM
Yes those would be softies. Soft coral = no skeleton, they attach to rock but don't make rock...LPS large polyp stony...has a skeleton, makes it's own rock...SPS Small polyp stony has a skeleton, makes it's own rock.

dmatt88

Yes those would be softies. Soft coral = no skeleton, they attach to rock but don't make rock...LPS large polyp stony...has a skeleton, makes it's own rock...SPS Small polyp stony has a skeleton, makes it's own rock.

Copycat. Hahaha

jake9015

Oh so if I fluke nuked I could not keep zoas or shrooms for how long? I know there is a time period where I can't keep any softies

dmatt88

Reggie (gareeferman ) has done it n his tank is awesome. Pm him. He's a good fella. Id follow his advice honestly.