Search results

1. MCDM

Replacing noisy 130D hood fans

Hi all, Has anyone recently found a quiet alternative to the stock noisy hood fans? I have two running but they are annoyingly loud. I've seen a few older threads but wondering if anyone has recently made this modification. Cheers, Morgan
  2. MCDM

MP40 overkill in RSM 130D?

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I've posted, but my MP10 of 8 years finally bit the dust. Such an amazing and reliable piece of equipment, but it needs to be replaced... Long story short, I can pick up a slightly used MP40WQD for a steal and wondering if it will be too strong for the...
  3. MCDM

Aquaillumination Hydra TwentySix HD LED in RSM130d?

Hi everyone, it's been ages since I've been online. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on an AI Hydra TwentySix HD and retrofitting it in the hood of my 130d. Has anyone had experience with this light in a 130d? Looking for a wireless controllable led right out the box that can...
  4. MCDM

LED Strip between T5s

Hi guys, looking to add a blue LED strip to run in between my T5s to give an added boost to the dismal moon lights. I used to have an ecoxotic stunner strip but it didn't last long. Looking at the 12 inch TrueLumen Pro LED Deepwater blue. Thoughts on this? Thanks
  5. MCDM

RSM 130D: Filter Media Other Than CPE & Purigen?

Curious to know if anyone has been using any other products besides CPE & Purigen in their tanks. Cheers, Morgan
  6. MCDM

130D Kalk ATO Dosing Tips

Hi guys, about to start dosing kalk using my tunze nano ATO from a 5 gal bucket. I'll be using Kent Marine Kalkwasser which suggests "Mix 1/8 to 2 teaspoons maximum per gallon of fresh water.." Anyone find the magic ratio? Currently have a low-medium demand tank. Thanks for your help!
  7. MCDM

Choice of Sand for RSM 130D

Hello all, it's been a long time since I've posted. I just recently moved and decided to use the opportunity to start a new sand bed in my tank. My old SB was about 5 years old, and was really nasty, causing high levels of nitrates. I tossed it all away and the tank is currently running with a...
  8. MCDM

Starting Over with New Rocks?

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. I've had my rem 130d up and running for almost 6 years now, and everything has been pretty much smooth sailing... until a few months ago. My aiptasia problem has spiraled out of control to the point where it has taken over the entire tank. There...
  9. MCDM

HELP! Overly Aggressive Ocellaris Clown

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a problem on my hands. Just to bring you up to speed, my larger clown of a mated pair killed the male after being together for 3 plus years. Now, after being the only clown in the tank for about a year, I've been hesitant about adding smaller fish as she's overly...
  10. MCDM

Kalk Dosing with ATO

Hey guys, quick question. I'm planning in dosing kalk through my Tunze Nano Osmolator. Currently, the fresh water sits in a 5 gallon Reef Crystals bucket. I've read that Kalk often settles on the bottom of the container. Should I put a small powerhead in there to keep it suspended and prevent...
  11. MCDM

RSM 130D Kalk Dosing Question

Hey everyone, quick question. I currently have a JBJ ATO system set up with a maxi jet 1200 pump in my reservoir. and I'm toying with the idea of adding Kalk to my fresh water. Bottom line is I'm tired of hand dosing! My question is, will my current set up cause too many swings in my...
  12. MCDM

Female Clown Viciously Attacking Male!!!!

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. But I've noticed lately that my female clown is becoming a lot more aggressive. I've had the two for over 3 years now and got them as an established pair. (the female is substantially larger) They would have the usual nip and dance routine...
  13. MCDM

Monti Bleaching... HELP!

Hey guys I bought this piece almost two years ago and its done nothing but grow. Ive now got multiple colonies throughout the tank which are all doing fine. But this just started happening this week. Parameters are all fine. Any idea what could be causing this and is there any way to...
  14. MCDM

Strange fish death!?!?

Hey everyone, my flasher wrasse had a sudden and strange death just two days after the introduction of a baby yellow tang (tang police: not the time, please). He was eating fine yesterday when i came home and just before I went out I notice he was lying at the bottom of the tank, breathing...
  15. MCDM

Weird monticap growth/death

Hey folks, anyone know what this growth or lack of is? My monti has more than quintupled in size over the year and has great lighting and strong flow. Any ideas would be appreciated
  16. MCDM

ATO Setup causing bubbles and loud splashing noise!

Hey everyone, so I've installed my JBJ Auto Top Off and it works great. The only thing is when water is pumped to the tank, it makes a big splashing noise then the tank briefly fills with bubbles. So my temporary solution so far: - I've added a small amount of tubing to the return conector...
  17. MCDM

Aquarium safe water storage bin

Hey guys, I just purchased my JBJ auto to off system and I'm looking to get a reservoir bin to hold my top off water. I know its best to buy a container that is food safe so does anyone have any suggestions? Looking for something in the 10 gallon range since space is limited. Thanks MCDM
  18. MCDM

Purchasing JBJ ATO... questions

Hey everyone, its been a while. So I'm about to order the JBJ ATO for my red sea max 130 d. Few questions: First, which set up have people had success with? (as in both sensors in the rear sump, or one in the reservoir) Second, did you go with the Maxi jet 1200 or 900? Lastly, is 1/2...
  19. MCDM

Anemone moved

Hey guys after nearly 6 months of a healthy RBTA With my pair of clowns hosting it, I came home from work to notice it moved to the back of the tank. This is the first time it's moved and now I'm pissed that you can't see it. No changes to the tank or anything. Any idea why this happened?
  20. MCDM

Blood shrimp MIA. Suspect: RBTA.

So my blood shrimp disappeared over night. I'm starting to believe the culprit is my RBTA. Has anyone lost a shrimp to their anemone in the past? Thanks.