Kalk Dosing with ATO

MCDM

Hey guys, quick question. I'm planning in dosing kalk through my Tunze Nano Osmolator. Currently, the fresh water sits in a 5 gallon Reef Crystals bucket. I've read that Kalk often settles on the bottom of the container. Should I put a small powerhead in there to keep it suspended and prevent buildup?

Cheers,
MCDM

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
No, my understanding is the power head will introduce more oxygen causing the Kalk to lose its effectiveness. I have found putting a lid on the ATO reservoir is somewhat effective, but you will always have some settling. Keep your pump off of the bottom of the reservoir so as not to suck up anything that has hardened (calcified?). I rest mine on a piece of egg crate. Also clean out the reservoir every other top off or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pablomay28

Hey guys, quick question. I'm planning in dosing kalk through my Tunze Nano Osmolator. Currently, the fresh water sits in a 5 gallon Reef Crystals bucket. I've read that Kalk often settles on the bottom of the container. Should I put a small powerhead in there to keep it suspended and prevent buildup?

Cheers,
MCDM

I have heard the same so I decided on making my own mix with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium carbonate (baking soda that has been placed in oven for 45 min to an hr). The solution I made was 2 cups sodium carbonate and 1/4 cup sodium carbonate for 2 gallons. Mix well when done and it stays clear. This mix will keep your Ph stable where as using just on or the other will cause Ph swings. I use the same ato as you do. You will have to see how much works for you. 20ml of this solution gives me a .25 aprox bump in Dkh in my 66 gallon.