Female Clown Viciously Attacking Male!!!!

MCDM

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted.

But I've noticed lately that my female clown is becoming a lot more aggressive.

I've had the two for over 3 years now and got them as an established pair. (the female is substantially larger)

They would have the usual nip and dance routine quite often, but now its ruthless.

My male clown has practically lost his rear and bottom fin due to female attacks. I just pulled him out of the tank since she was dragging him to the bottom.

Any idea why this is happening?

They've shared and slept together in an RBTA for years, and this behavior is something I've never witnessed.

THe female clown will even come after my hand when cleaning inside the tank.

HELP!

I had the same problem with mine. My female ended up putting so much stress on the male (she kept him in the upper rear corner of the tank) that he eventually died. After that, she started going after my Cardinals. At that point, I took her back to the LFS that I got her from and got something else. I hope you have better luck than I did.

MCDM

Thanks man. Yeah really not sure what to do. Quite pissed to be honest. I've come to love these two and its gut wrenching to watch the little guy get torn to shreds. He's in the 10 gal QT tank right now.

Should I move some stuff around in the tank to redefine their territory?

David Shaw

I once had a chocolate pair of clowns, the female grew vicious over time. Every time i went into the tank she use to bite and even started flipping herself out of the water if i ever went near the tank. The only fish she was ok with was the male clown. In the end i traded them both in to the LFS.

You could always trade in the aggressive female and keep the male, then try adding a smaller new clown. Your current male should then turn female.

I tried moving rocks around but after a day she was as vicious as ever.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry you are having such a bad time with your clowns :(
What variety of clowns are they?
I put a mini terra cotta clay pot in my tank because my female clown (false Perc) was being aggressive toward my dwarf cherub angel. The agression stopped because the chase ends as soon as the angel leaves the area of the clay pot. Cherub's tail fin grew back.
Some species of clowns are much more aggressive than others. What kind are yours?

MCDM

Mine are a pair of ocellaris clowns. Ugh how frustrating is this? Really goes to show that fish do have personalities.

Does anyone have any idea to why her behavior has gone off the deep end, or what set it off?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You might try putting in a mini terra cotta clay pot, mine hosted it almost instantly & the female has a place of her own & stays close to it. These little pots were 3/$1.00 at the Dollar Tree Store. I bought some on-line also to get a little bigger size. Michael's Craft shop has them. Not sure where to tell you in Canada. :ponder2:
I just know it worked like a nice dream for me. Here's a picture of my clowns in their pot:
null_zpse4918502.jpg
[/IMG]

Put the female in a breeders net, for three weeks. Personally, once they start fighting like that, the female most likely wants a new partner.

Lipman

Sounds like real life lol ^^.

In Canada just go to Michaels, Home Depot, Canadian Tire. They all have the clay pots for really cheap!

Good luck!

Lipman

Wait just one second, another Canadian from Toronto!! I finally found one!

Where abouts in Toronto are you?? This has just made my day haha

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This thread needs an UPdate....MCDM, How is the clown situation in your tank? :fingerx: hope all is well!