Aquaillumination Hydra TwentySix HD LED in RSM130d?

MCDM

Hi everyone, it's been ages since I've been online. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on an AI Hydra TwentySix HD and retrofitting it in the hood of my 130d.

Has anyone had experience with this light in a 130d? Looking for a wireless controllable led right out the box that can handle sps.

Here's the link to the light http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/

Many thanks,
Morgan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveK

AI Hydras like to be mounted rather far above the tank. Note how they are mounted in other Red Sea systems. You would have two major problems trying to mount one in the hood. First, you would get poor light distribution. LED's direct their light straight down, so your tank would end up very bright in the middle and dim on the ends, with the top part of the tank not under the fixture extremely dim. Second, you have the problems of heat. AI Hydras get rather warm and you need to dissipate the heat. This is difficult to do inside a hood.

If you still want to run an AI hydra, look into replacing the hood with a screen or running the system open top. Then mount the Hydra above the tank, like you see in the other systems. You could also consider a pair of AI primes. This would cost more but give more even light.

If you want to keep the hood, consider going with Steve's LEDs for the upgrade. It's a drop in LED replacement and with options can be run wireless. See this link (offsite) - https://www.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-130D-C130-LED-Upgrade--Plug-and-Play_p_304.html As a note, as of this date, Sept 16, 2018, the upgrade is on sale.

MCDM

AI Hydras like to be mounted rather far above the tank. Note how they are mounted in other Red Sea systems. You would have two major problems trying to mount one in the hood. First, you would get poor light distribution. LED's direct their light straight down, so your tank would end up very bright in the middle and dim on the ends, with the top part of the tank not under the fixture extremely dim. Second, you have the problems of heat. AI Hydras get rather warm and you need to dissipate the heat. This is difficult to do inside a hood.

If you still want to run an AI hydra, look into replacing the hood with a screen or running the system open top. Then mount the Hydra above the tank, like you see in the other systems. You could also consider a pair of AI primes. This would cost more but give more even light.

If you want to keep the hood, consider going with Steve's LEDs for the upgrade. It's a drop in LED replacement and with options can be run wireless. See this link (offsite) - https://www.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-130D-C130-LED-Upgrade--Plug-and-Play_p_304.html As a note, as of this date, Sept 16, 2018, the upgrade is on sale.

Hey Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Steve's LED option looks great!

Kamreef

Im going to do the same as I just took off the lid and plan to hang it over my 130D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro