ATO Setup causing bubbles and loud splashing noise!

MCDM

Hey everyone, so I've installed my JBJ Auto Top Off and it works great. The only thing is when water is pumped to the tank, it makes a big splashing noise then the tank briefly fills with bubbles.

So my temporary solution so far:
- I've added a small amount of tubing to the return conector and titled it on an angle. (see picture)
- I thought to extened the return to below the water surface to stop it from spashing, but when the pump turns off, it turns into a syphon! Bad Idea.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

I was thinking of buying a small footvalve and attach it to the end of the hose and stick it below the waterline, preventing it from syphoning.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

pump.jpg

reefer gladness

If you extend the tube below the water surface drill a small 1/4" hole in the tube just below or maybe just even with the water surface. It will only siphon until the hose starts sucking air but it will blow that air right back into your tank when the pump starts the next time.

This is the trick used on the sump return I have to prevent the DT from siphoning back into the sump.

Hopefully others have a better solution though. I was able to use a small Tom's Aqualifter pump and airline tubing that just trickles in for my ATO but that's because it's plumbed into the sump and the pump doesn't have to push water uphill very far.

steved13

PREMIUM
I would leave the ATO tube above the water line so you don't have the siphon issue. With a hole you'll still get some siphon until it gets the air, seems more trouble than it's worth. Siphon breaks are great, but in this case, I think your asking for problems bringing the tank water and mixing it with the ATO supply, even a little at a time.

I'm confused...What is causing the bubbles? If it's just from the water splashing into the tank, you might be able to solve all issues by aiming the ATO so the water hits the glass and slides down, making it quieter and should solve the bubble issue.

ChrisY

I have a Tunze ATO unit on my 130d and I have the return coming back up the back and then pumping into the heater chamber but about 1" or so above water level and the return hose is against the glass so it doesn't splash.

Hope this helps.

chris

catran

I have a Tunze ATO unit on my 130d and I have the return coming back up the back and then pumping into the heater chamber but about 1" or so above water level and the return hose is against the glass so it doesn't splash.

Hope this helps.

chris

Sounds like your solution. I was going to suggest putting the tube against the glass so it runs down the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk