Search results

1. Mcvivor

moving tanks, help :-D

Hello all! I have a problem, I currently have 2 fish 2 one at my moms house and the other here at my place. I have a 180 gallon at my moms and a 120 here at my place. Both are saltwater tanks. My 180 needs to be torn down, it is old and the acrlyic is starting to expand and there are many...
  2. Mcvivor

Just set up tank, cloudy water...HELP

Hello all, I am setting up a new 120 gallon saltwater/reef tank. I just added the water, sand, and salt yesterday but it seems that the water is VERY CLOUDY. Is this normal? I have a 220 gallon at my parents house that I started about 4 years ago and I dont remember that tank being as...
  3. Mcvivor

Grocery Store Clam as Food??

Hello all, I went shopping today and walked by the seafood section. I bought 1 clam for food for my fish. After doing so, I have no idea how to feed this to them? Has anyone ever done so? It was on ice when I bought it and it is all closed up?
  4. Mcvivor

Larger tank question....???

Hey everyone. I currently have a 220 gallon saltwater reef tank. I have pretty much stocked this tank to its capacity. I want to upgrade to a larger tank. I am not sure where to even start to find a larger tank. Can someone lead me in the correct direction....I want a 500+ tank. I know...
  5. Mcvivor

Not sure what to name this thread? "Weight ?"

Hey everyone. I need some help. I am not smart when it comes to construction questions lol. I recently moved into an apartment on the 3rd floor. This building is pretty new, was built in 2004. I have a 220 gallon saltwater reef at my moms house I have spent much of my time on. I know it...
  6. Mcvivor

How do I clean hard brown carpet, and green algea circles off of acrylic??

Hey everyone, I need some help. My reef tank needs some SUPER cleaning. I have been ignoring the cleaning for some time. I do continue water changes every 2 weeks and clean the algea off the acrylic with the mag (safe for ac tanks). But there are some red-purple and green coraline stuck on my...
  7. Mcvivor

Never Kept SPS please help....

So I MAY want to venture out of my comfort zone and try some SPS corals. I currently have a 220 reef tank with mainly softs, leathers, zoas, sponges, mushrooms, polyps, an anenome, things of that nature. I have 3 250 watt MH, and compacy flourecents in my halide fixtures....so that makes...
  8. Mcvivor

A Mono fish in the reef? A good idea?

Hey everyone. I was doing my usual research and came across the mono fish being able to go into SW. Has anyone had any experience with this. I have a 220 gal reef tank with mostly soft corals, leathers, polyps, and mushrooms, and a huge anenome. Are mono reef safe? Do they like to be in...
  9. Mcvivor

My new addition to the 220!

Here is a pic of a new coral I got yesterday. The bubble coral! One of my favs. I got a sweet deal on him for only $15 woo woo.
  10. Mcvivor

How often/how much do I feed...Causing high nitrates...pls help

Hey everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR. My question is this. I have a 220 gallon reef tank. (currently with no fish) I had to move them all to QT due to ich outbreak. I have done several water changes. The tank has been up for about 8 months or so. I have corals and some crabs-shrimp-basic CUC. My...
  11. Mcvivor

Pics of my 220

Hello, I seem to be having a big mouth on here in the past few days! I am sorta new to reefsanctuary. I love it. I thought I would share some photos of my 220 reef tank. I currently have no fish in the tank. The poor babies are in QT due to my own mistake of not QT all my fish. I had an ich...
  12. Mcvivor

What kind of sponge is this?

Hey all, about 6 months ago I received a piece of LR that had a black goo ball on it. I left it alone. And taa daa! It grew into this awesome sponge. The problem is... I can not find anything about it online... Any comments?
  13. Mcvivor

Switching my Bulbs in Halides...Have ?....

Hey All, I have 3 250 watt metal halides on my 220 reef. They currently are running the white lights (not sure what the K is for white). Now I want to switch the whites to blues (not sure of the K) but I want the BLUE BLUE look. How should i go about switching them? Should I do them one at a...
  14. Mcvivor

Sump/Fuge on 220? Confused

Hey everyone. I have a 220 gallon reef tank. I have had it up and running for about 6 months now. I am a little confused on if I need an aquiptment upgrade. I am running a skimmer on the tank, that works great. But this is where I am confused and need some help. I have a sump system that came...
  15. Mcvivor

How would you stock a 220?

Hey all, I had a crash in my 220 gallon reef and need to sorta start over. I have my remaining fish in QT now. The QT tank has a yellow tang, tomini tang, fox face, a perc clown, hippo tang, 6 line wrasse, scooter blenny, and a cleaner wrasse. I lost the rest of my fish due to an ich...
  16. Mcvivor

How would you stock a 220?

Hey all, I had a crash in my 220 gallon reef and need to sorta start over. I have my remaining fish in QT now. The QT tank has a yellow tang, tomini tang, fox face, a perc clown, hippo tang, 6 line wrasse, scooter blenny, and a cleaner wrasse. I lost the rest of my fish due to an ich...
  17. Mcvivor

How Should I stock my 220 Reef?

18. Mcvivor

QT Process Question....Please Help

Hello all you helpful people :bouncer: . I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct area but I will give it a shot!. I will give a background of my situation and then ask the questions so everyone has most of the facts. I have a 220 gallon SW reef tank (with some anenomes, mushrooms...
  19. Mcvivor

Purple Sea Slug??

Hey everyone I am new to reef sanctuary. I went to the LFS and saw they had purple sea slugs. (I did research before on them) and I realize they are pretty much impossible to take care of in a tank. I have a 220 gallon SW reef and have had it set up for about 6 months. I foolishly bought the...