moving tanks, help :-D

Mcvivor

Hello all!

I have a problem, I currently have 2 fish 2 one at my moms house and the other here at my place. I have a 180 gallon at my moms and a 120 here at my place. Both are saltwater tanks. My 180 needs to be torn down, it is old and the acrlyic is starting to expand and there are many scratches.

I am planning on moving some/most of the livestock from that tank to my 120. My 120 has been running for about 2 months and I am planning on taking all those fish back to the pet store and I want to keep my fish in the 180 because they are all older and much more mature (colorful, etc)

My problem is this..... I am not sure how many fish I can stock into the 120 because I am downgrading. The 180 has a naso, hippo, yellow tang, fox face, copperband, 4 green chromis (2 inches), 6 line wrasse, 2 percs (2 inches), a HUGE long tent. anenome, 6 line wrasse, royal gramma.

Now.... all the tangs are about the size of your hand, maybe a little smaller same as the fox, the copperband is about 3 inches.....

How many of my babies can I move into the 120??? Please let me know your suggestions.... I am planning on using about 60 gallons of water from the 180 for my 120 and using some of its live rock to help cycle.... this project is going down tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!!! (sorry for any spelling errors, using my phone to make this post)

fishguy4

I would say get rid of some pf the tangs, thats too many for the 120 in my opinion, esp if u dont have a good crop of algae. Maybe take out the copperband butterfly out too if you want. But you prob wont have to get rid of too many of them :)

Do you have any coral in either tank? Just curious

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Here's my suggestion. Move em all into the tank. Now u list the entire stock for what u want for them on Cl. Sell ur brood down to what works. Whatever sells first is ur decision. Price carefully. PS. Stay diligent on ur wc in the meantime.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

Mcvivor

The only corals I have are just some mushrooms, and the anenome. I will be moving the anemome from MH lighting to T5HO light, I hope that is not a problem. So you guys think if I get rid of the smaller fish I can keep the larger ones in the 120? I have had all these fish for about 5 years it is hard to part with them lol

Built347

In this tank thats been up two months.. what is the filtration situation? are you moving your established L/R to the 120? or did you start the tank with seasoned rock?

is this tank is truly 2 months old with 2 month old cured rock,sand,sump,filter,ect i think that many fish may shock the tank.. over stocking stresses an established system, even more so an unestablished system with big dirty tangs and such.... if your rock is established and theres enough of it disregard and yes i agree.. move em all and then let a couple go at your leisure..

dmatt88

In this tank thats been up two months.. what is the filtration situation? are you moving your established L/R to the 120? or did you start the tank with seasoned rock?

is this tank is truly 2 months old with 2 month old cured rock,sand,sump,filter,ect i think that many fish may shock the tank.. over stocking stresses an established system, even more so an unestablished system with big dirty tangs and such.... if your rock is established and theres enough of it disregard and yes i agree.. move em all and then let a couple go at your leisure..

U go boy.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

Built347

Hey... u guys were all right IMO... just didn't see anything that led me to believe the tank is ready for that many fish.. lmao.. just makin sure :D. Don't like seeing the "why are my fish dying?" threads.

Mcvivor

I will be moving 50-60 gallons of water from the 180 into the 120 and using a lot of its live rock, plus my live rock I have in the 120 currently.....