A Mono fish in the reef? A good idea?

Mcvivor

Hey everyone. I was doing my usual research and came across the mono fish being able to go into SW. Has anyone had any experience with this.

I have a 220 gal reef tank with mostly soft corals, leathers, polyps, and mushrooms, and a huge anenome.

Are mono reef safe? Do they like to be in groups? AND if I get some how long does it take to make them get use to saltwater??

Any ideas would be fantastic!!

Thanks

MIKE

DaveK

While they are often found in brackish water, monos (all the common species seen in the aquarium trade) can be kept in SW systems. Generally you'll find them in your LFS in almost fresh water, so you must convert them slowly to SW. Put them in your QT tank, filled with FW, and them make partial water changes with SW, or you can let evaporation take it's course, and use SW as the top off water, until you get to a normal SW SG. I would do this process over at least a week, but taking a lnger times is better.

I would consider monos generally reef safe, but it's been many years since I have on in my SW system. They are a nice looking fish, but are going to be out shown by some on the other more exotic fish you may acquire.

I have seen them kept in groups, and they seemed to do well together. However, do you want to dedicate a lot of your fish capacity to this fish? You might want something different.

There are people that really love monos, and set up a brackish water tank for them.

While we are on the subject, scats can also be kept in a SW system, but they may not be reef safe, since they will eat anything.

jesse92

Monos dont work in reefs from my experience. They pester most fish small and large and seem to enjoy picking at soft corals, so i would advise against keeping monos in a reef.

Mcvivor

Thanks for the replies you guys.

Dave you had a really good point... I have a SW tank for a reason right....the EXOTIC fish....I guess I will pass on the Mono. They are good looking fish. But I would rather use the room for another tang or a reef safe angel or something.

Any suggestions :-D???

nos2074

i have a mono in my tank. He was already aclimated for SW when I got him at my LFS. He never bothers any of my other fish. He is somewhat of a wuss as he is often chased by my dominate damsel. Had him for about 4 years. Yes my other fish are alot more exotic but that's what makes him stand out from the rest.

DaveK

... I would rather use the room for another tang or a reef safe angel or something.

Any suggestions :-D???

With the size of your tank, 220 gal, you could add another tang, assuming you only have one now. You could also add a "reef safe" angel, but you just never know if it will be "reef safe". That all depends on the individual fish.

One of my favorites over the years has been the various species of hawkfish. They seem to have a lot of personality, and stay out a lot. They are not as gaudy as some of the other families of fish, but even non-fish people seem to like them.

Mcvivor

Hmmm good idea. What type should I get. I hear some get aggressive or may pick at corals....what would you suggest?

DaveK

I'm partial to the spotted hawk and pixie hawk. The longnose hawk and flame hawk are nice also.

I have never had a problem with them picking on corals, but because they have no swim bladder they will often perch on a rock or coral. This doesn't seem to bother the coral. I have not found them to be aggressive, but they are a small predator. If you keep shrimp in the tank, hawks may eat them. They might also eat very small fish, such as a neon gobie or clown gobie.

This is one fish where you can often add multiple fish of the same species, as long as one isn't big enough to eat the other. As usual go carefully here. A lot may depend on the individual fish.

As for tangs, choose the one you like, keeping away from the super aggressive species and the species that get huge.

As for angles, I'm partial to the pigmy angel and the flameback angel but may others would work well. Flame angles would also be a good choice. With any of them, adding one to a reef is taking a chance, some are model citizens, others are a big problem, still others start out good and turn bad. Always be sure you have a way to deal with any fish that doesn't work out.

eagle

I would deviate from other reply. I frequent reefs in the Philippines and have actually seen Mono angels in shallow reefs less than 6 feet deep. I have kept monos in saltwater but not in reef tanks but have noticed they are resistant to white spot, something of an advantage in reef tanks since wipeouts on fishes are common in reef tanks. I will test them with my litophyton soft corals and report if they damage any.