Search results

1. M

All Corals Turned White and Now Dead, Only Fish and Anemone are alive!

Just to add on to other good comments above.... Your pH numbers aren't bad, but I am suspicious of your alkalinity level. Hopefully you have been testing both calcium and alkalinity on a regular basis and using the test results to gauge how much of each supplement to dose. (Dosing these...
  2. M

SPS lighting duration

RBTA, Rics and Kenya Tree in a 55 officially makes that an Anemone/Ric/Tree Coral tank...and a soon to be very crowded one. Where do you have room for SPS? ;) If you're feeling serious about the stony corals (which aren't going to have much room to grow out after the Tree and Anemone have...
  3. M

FOWLR Tank too hot??

Just a thought... Why so much light over a fish tank? A very basic LED fixture (e.g. Marineland Single-Bright or Double-Bright) would do the trick and eliminate any heat concerns (and most algae issues) at the same time. Smart! :) When the time comes to add photosynthetic animals (or...
  4. M

Anemone Eating Yellow Tang Fish

Perfect size fish and perfect size anemone in a perfect size tank....so of course is was the shrimps fault. :( (Stupid humans.) I don't want our hobby to be more regulated than it is, but sometimes I wish a license was required or something. -Matt
  5. M

I have a mantis shrimp that is killing many things in my tank.

Nothing new, but just to throw my $0.02... Soda bottle trap is my #1. Excellent for when you can't pull off #2 and you have time on your hands. Patience! ;) #2 is knowing his rock (and hole, preferably) so you can pull it out over a bucket of saltwater (to save him) and pour seltzer...
  6. M

Skimmer is making my head hurt

Good luck with that skimmer. For posterity, the main key to stable skimmer performance is an auto-top-off system (i.e. a super-stable water level). Without an ATO, most skimmers are not going to give a good experience. A surprising number of people want to cheap out and not run an ATO, so...
  7. M

need opinion on which skimmer is better buy

Sorry I can't say "yay" or "nay" to the options above, but.. I dunno if it carries enough glamour anymore (lol), but the AquaC Remora would handle that tank with aplomb and is pretty easy to find used. Solid choice. If you plan to stock to a reasonable level (i.e. not overstock) the...
  8. M

AquaC Remora Pro S info.

If it helps, I can vouch that the standard Remora would handle your tank size and is worthy of a few upgrades for additional performance. The Pro is rated up to 120 gallons IIRC. According to news reports, the "S" distinction indicates presence of a new (slightly) higher-flow design...
  9. M

Substrate...what's you fav and why.

I agree the live sand prices are higher (about double IIRC) it may be worth it to some....but not because it's live. BTW, I'm mostly referring to Ocean Direct (Original Grade) from Carib Sea. You can see pics of it on the linked page. The first main reason I think it's worth it is that I...
  10. M

Replacing MH bulbs for the first time.

If you're running magnetic ballasts (what make/model?) then I'd suggest running Radium bulbs. Not cheap, but the best looking bulb/ballast combo out there IMO. (They run bluer with an electronic balast...not my preference.) $87 is the cheapest I've seen em. (Good place to deal with too.)...
  11. M

Power heads for 90 g

For a tank of that shape/size I like the flow from Tunze nanostream 6045's a lot better. (Plus after having two Korallia EVO's rust out on me, I think the Tunze's are a lot better made.) Personally, I'd add a single 6045 to the side and run the 1400 on the back angled toward the side with no...
  12. M

Calcium reactor vs. Dosing Pumps?

You aren't missing anything. ;) First, as some have noted, if you buy chemicals in bulk the cost of two-part dosing goes way down. Even at the rates I'm dosing it costs next to nothing by comparison with "name-brand" chemicals. More importantly, a CO2 reactor of any kind (kalk, CaCO3...
  13. M

Best protein skimmer on the market????

There is no "best skimmer on the market" cuz "best" doesn't really hold any specific meaning. You have noticed that there are LOTS of good options on the market these days - a dizzying array in fact. One thing to hold in mind is that all decent (or better) skimmers are very similar in maximum...
  14. M

Finally got rid of bio wheels. Now what??

Yes, but a skimmer isn't really a mechanical filter per se. To give your skimmer a boost in this department, you'll have to "wet skim". Do a little Googling on the term and your skimmer if you're not sure how to go about this. Wet skimming will help lift more physical waste out of the water...
  15. M

what pump is best

If your pump is valved way back the watts it is consuming will be well-below its motor's rated value, FYI. Seems to hold true for all pumps from Reeflo's down to lowly Rio 600 submersible pumps. The Hammerhead is not a bad option for your scenario - and a pretty popular option. You'll be...
  16. M

What Pump should I buy

Three to four times your tank volume turned over through your sump (with skimmer flowing about the same) are considered ideal flow numbers for most circumstances, but of course YMMV. 90 gallons * 4 times turnover = 350-400 gph. (In-tank flow from 20 to 80 times is recommended. 90 * 80 = 7200...
  17. M

QuietOne 4000 - Junk?

+1 to almost all of the plumbing advice given so far! ...now my $0.02. :read: Concerning The Flow To start with, unless your tank rim is only about 3.5 feet above the pump, there's no way you can expect 750gph from this pump - certainly not after that circuitous plumbing route and ensuing...
  18. M

tunze nano skimmer

Occasionally running a cup or so of RO water through the skimmer's air intake should be a nice, simple way to cure/prevent this from happening. Not sure the default length of the air tube will allow this to be done easily, so be creative if necessary. :olsmile:
  19. M

Think i already made a lighting mistake

True that T5's can put out respectable PAR. (I think that's the main point of your post, right?) I think the question of "which is better" has to take into account more than numbers - I'm sure you'd agree. From what I can discern going beyond the advancedaquarist.com article, T5's do not...
  20. M

Think i already made a lighting mistake

Here on advancedaquarist.com is the only rigorous MH vs T5 comparison I can find so far. It compares growth, coloration and viewing traits of 11 SPS frags grown out under XM 10K and 20K 175w MH as well as a 4xAquasun 160w T5 setup, then all three frags were photographed under all three lights...