SPS lighting duration

saltfan

Well my 55gal seems to be headin in a mostly SPS direction besides my Trumpet coral a kenya tree a couple zoa colonies 13 Ricorias and a RTBA . I am currently running 1x true atinic 1x blue plus and 2x coral plus all T5 HO 54w ATIs. Currently the true atinic and blue plus come on at 10:30am followed by the 2 coral plus at 11am then the coral pluses of at 6:30pm followed by the true atinic and blue plus at 7pm for a total of 8.5 Hrs. all seems to be doing good . Should I increase the lighting duration? Dont want them to start dwindling due to not enough light. Oh also have some Montipora.

PH 8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrite 0
nitrate .5
ammonia 0
calcium 440
mag about 1300
phos 0

jerry26

I believe sps will start turning brown when they dont get enough light. Its pretty noticeable.

I bought a green slimer that was kept in a low current so it grew really tall and thin so i set it on its side to get it growing more branches(which worked) and now if you look at the bottom, its completely brown.

mcarroll

RBTA, Rics and Kenya Tree in a 55 officially makes that an Anemone/Ric/Tree Coral tank...and a soon to be very crowded one. Where do you have room for SPS? ;)

If you're feeling serious about the stony corals (which aren't going to have much room to grow out after the Tree and Anemone have taken their space), I would start purging the Tree Coral ASAP and sell/transplant the anemone soon. Rics don't typically take over as bad as mushrooms but I'd start thinking about another tank for them as well.

Good luck regardless!

-Matt

saltfan

Well so far so good. heres a peek.

DSCF3115_zps14b5eebc.jpg

DSCF3113_zps0e0ceb02.jpg

DSCF3114_zps150a0fc2.jpg