Calcium reactor vs. Dosing Pumps?

kweckstrom

Hey everyone,

I've actually purchased a Calcium Reactor and CO2 tank for use with my system, but I've been a bit reluctant to hook it up thus far as it's another piece of equipment I need to maintain.

My nagging question is - are there any huge benefits over using a calcium reactor versus using dosing pumps? Either way I would be using my Apex to control either scenario. I would think that maintaining dosing pumps would be far easier than maintaining a full blown calcium reactor implementation. What am I missing?

Hey everyone,

I've actually purchased a Calcium Reactor and CO2 tank for use with my system, but I've been a bit reluctant to hook it up thus far as it's another piece of equipment I need to maintain.

My nagging question is - are there any huge benefits over using a calcium reactor versus using dosing pumps? Either way I would be using my Apex to control either scenario. I would think that maintaining dosing pumps would be far easier than maintaining a full blown calcium reactor implementation. What am I missing?

I used a heo 818 and Milwaukee orp and ph controller on my 380 gallon. I ended up chucking it. I had constant issues with ph flux. I set the reactor up great, issue was compound really. First the solenoid would constantly get stuck and flood the tank with co2. The other issue was placement of my tank caused a lot of low ph issue in the first place. There is a great write up in reef keeping on setting up these reactors and I followed it to a T. The solenoid was really the issue.

So end of story, I ended up going with doses on my 190 I am currently building. In the end the money you save from electricity and co2 refills makes it moot as far as money.

Here is a link to the article if you decide to go with the CA RX

Product Review - Product Review: The GEO 818 Calcium Reactor by Paul Whitby - Reefkeeping.com

Obi

jpsika08

This is the same CA REactor I have (GEO 818) it's a great piece of machine, though, you're right, if the CO2 is placed in the wrong place you can have some really bad PH up/downs.

steved13

PREMIUM
If you have a high calcium need, a calcium reactor will be less expensive. However a dosing pump is much more acurate at dosing, not to mention flexibility in what you're dosing.

The explanation that was given to me was, a Cal reactor was like a shotgun, and the dosing pump was like a sniper rifle.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
In my opinion a calc reactor is needed on large systems only where large amounts of calc is used otherwise it's not worth the money. If you have a large system that uses a lot of calc then it is cheaper than dosing. You will need a good controller, probe, and solenoid to assure that it works properly. I run 2 separate reactors as dosing would cost me a huge amount more and I haven't had a problem with either system.

In my opinion a calc reactor is needed on large systems only where large amounts of calc is used otherwise it's not worth the money. If you have a large system that uses a lot of calc then it is cheaper than dosing. You will need a good controller, probe, and solenoid to assure that it works properly. I run 2 separate reactors as dosing would cost me a huge amount more and I haven't had a problem with either system.

Don't forget to add in the cost of electricity to run the associated equipment and maintain the calcium reactor it adds up. If you buy dosing chemicals in bulk it is really a wash....

Calcium reactor requires a pump to run 24/7, media, possibly a feed pump running 24/7, carbon dioxide refills, probes go bad and have to be replaced, calibration fluid to keep them tuned up and accurate....

mcarroll

Hey everyone,

You aren't missing anything. ;)

First, as some have noted, if you buy chemicals in bulk the cost of two-part dosing goes way down. Even at the rates I'm dosing it costs next to nothing by comparison with "name-brand" chemicals.

More importantly, a CO2 reactor of any kind (kalk, CaCO3, Sulpher, etc) is complex - there's no two ways about it! Dosing pumps are cheap and simple (as in K.I.S.S.) by comparison. Aqua Lifters work great as inexpensive dosing pumps (using them on my very high depand SPS system), but peristaltic pumps are probably slightly easier to dial in due to increased consistency. If you're not dosing a whole lot of material yet, this is irrelevant - you'll figure out the consistency issue in due course of testing and dosing while you are dialing in - which you have to do for either pump type.

I'm guessing that since you bought a CO2 reactor in that manner that budget isn't a huge sticking point - you may be inclined to go with peristaltic pumps. Their one weakness is that the peristaltic tubing will wear out periodically and on some makes the motors aren't destined for a very long life (but at $20-$25 are inexpensive to replace about once a year or so). You will get what you pay for in terms of motor life, but the tubing issue remains. More of a pain than an expense though. (e.g. I got some chinese DIY peristaltic pumps and they actually supplied a couple of meters of spare tubing with each pump.)

Tom Aqua Lifters are uber-simple pumps and should last nearly forever in a dosing scenario. The caveats with these pumps are that they don't push as hard as a peristaltic pump, so might be a little more prone to blockages (in theory...haven't experienced any issues), and they don't necessarily do anything to prevent back-siphoning during down-time. A check-valve will help, but they tend to clog and wear out quickly. This adds up to part of my dosing timer being used just to fill up the dosing tube before any dripping actually happens. It's a caveat, but one you figure out.

With either solution, don't seal your dosing reservoirs - air has to be able to get in while the dosing chemical is getting out. Otherwise a vacuum will form and eventually throttle and then shut down your dosing solution. (Experience talking here....lol.)

-Matt