what pump is best

Ok, my tank is set up alittle different then most. I have a 125 gal (48w x 24h x24d). i have it piped with 2' flex pipe down one floor to a room where i have the 55 gal fug set up. Its a total of 25 ft each way on the pipe, the head height on the return is about 14'. Right now i have the system set up with a hayward 1hp pool pump. Its loud and costing me a future to run. i figure its burning about 1400-1600 watts an hour (estimated) and that's valved down alittle at the fug. To much on the out going for the main tank mega overflows to handle. I am wanting to change it over to a more efficient pump that's runs quieter and pulls alot less in power. And also gives off less heat. It has to be external as i have it piped that way. What is everyones opinion on whats a good pump to go to?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Reeflo is the way to go when you need that much head pressure.

mcarroll

I was just looking at the reeflo hybrid hammerhead. Have you seen these run? They the quietest but i have never heard it riun. Seems like they are pretty low on the power draw for my head hight

If your pump is valved way back the watts it is consuming will be well-below its motor's rated value, FYI. Seems to hold true for all pumps from Reeflo's down to lowly Rio 600 submersible pumps.

The Hammerhead is not a bad option for your scenario - and a pretty popular option. You'll be kicking out 4000 gph or so at your head pressure at around 340 watts, however, which is overkill by a factor of 10 for your tank size. Converting to Barracuda config (whatever this entails....no idea) will cut 100 watts off supposedly and still have more than adequate flow. Something to think about if power-savings is the main idea here.

I'm not a huge fan of pumps with seals (direct drive) though as they seem to be fragile.

Consider an Iwaki style magnetic drive pump - (55RLT @ ~200 watts should do it, I think...go larger if you want) they are more durable IME and more quiet. Even a Quiet One 14000 (submersible pump) would do well for flow at only 175 watts - and it can still be plumbed externally.

-Matt