need opinion on which skimmer is better buy

halobaby

had a superskimmer but went to set it up and realized it was broken so now need to buy another one. i want corals, nems, fish, live rock, live sand in tank. there are only 3 available where i am.

the sea clone(which i have on my qt and seems to be too small)
bubbleking
psk100h

which is the better skimmer of the 3?
what are disadvantages/problems?
i am going for hang-on type and my tank is 65 gal.

thank you

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
reef octopus has a great line of skimmer......check them out.

DaveK

Of the skimmers listed by the op, I'd go with the BubbleKing. However, PSU4ME is correct look to other sources. LFS often carry the low end skimmers to keep cost down, and these are best avoided.

rufus2008

If your looking for h.o.b. style the deltec mce 600 beats them all hands down. Its expensive but well worth it. I started with a prizm pro (garbage), moved on to a coralife 125 (better but needs constant adjustments), amd then the deltec and I'm never going to cheap out on a protrein skimmer again.

mcarroll

Sorry I can't say "yay" or "nay" to the options above, but..

I dunno if it carries enough glamour anymore (lol), but the AquaC Remora would handle that tank with aplomb and is pretty easy to find used. Solid choice.

If you plan to stock to a reasonable level (i.e. not overstock) the Tunze 9004 would be a nice candidate too.

-Matt

DaveK

If your looking for h.o.b. style the deltec mce 600 beats them all hands down. Its expensive but well worth it. I started with a prizm pro (garbage), moved on to a coralife 125 (better but needs constant adjustments), amd then the deltec and I'm never going to cheap out on a protrein skimmer again.

While I am always an advocate of getting top quality equipment, the Deltec MCE600 at a price of about $550 is just not a good value. Compare it to an AquaC Remora Pro at about $260. Half the price for a skimmer many would consider to be in the same class.

halobaby

well i went to lfs and of course wrong info again. no bubble king only bubble magnus which does not hang on tank. honestly i have never in my whole life dealt with such incompotence before. so i bought psk110h or whatever it was. i am however surprised at how quiet it is. but my tank if full of tiny bubbles-not sure if it's the skimmer, a powerhead, or the penguin filter system. are bubbles bad? my sea clone was doing it in the qt but i was able to tweek it so now its minimal but my dt is filled with tiny bubbles. i have 1 powerhead aimed downward across the tank and the other aimed to break the surface(opposite sides of tank) could the surface braking be causing it? we didn't realize before because our lights were at the store being fixed for the 3rd time in 5 weeks. we just got them back today, hooked up skimmer, added some corals and massive explotion of little tiny bubbles. anyone out there know how to get rid of them?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Eshoppes and Reef Octopus are my favorite 2 brands of skimmer, whether HOB or IN sump. I've never had any issues with either one. I've heard good things about Bubble Magus/king, and AquaC, but never owned one. Ony thing to note is that the "Rating" Is always based on Gallons, which is assuming the same bioload. Not always the case. I prefer to buy something 1/3 to 2/3 bigger than what I actually need according to the manufacture rating, just because too much skimmer is always better than NOT ENOUGH.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
A lot of skimmers will produce microbubbles in the tank while they are breaking in.

halobaby

thanks. i guess patience is key here too lol. i'll just wait a day or two before i rip apart my tank looking for the "bubble culprit" i bought the 100h and my tank is 65 gal so it should be o.k. i think. i also like the idea of the pump being outside of the tank. and my little sea clone(also rated for 100 gal) is the loudest thing in the room so i'm inpressed by the lack of noise.

rufus2008

My reasoning for buying the deltec was space, or lack of behind the tank, and the rating of the deltec. It's supposed to be rated for 192 gallon, give or take a gallon, and its on a 108 gallon display. I just tried to get the best with the space I had available.

burning2nd

AquaC....

service is off the hook... (as in free replacement no questions ask)
never fails
never overflows.
cant brake down...

ill never buy anything other then

no tuning no timeing... no messing with... set it and forget

halobaby

i think i found the culprit. the skimmer has to have at least 1/2" of water below the "water output spout" lol i don't know what its called. anyways this spout is about 4" down into my tank so my water level is now 5" down and the filters are causing bubbles because the water is dropping so far. so that is one downfall of the psk100h but upsides are it's very quiet and the pump is outside the tank so theres more room inside for my fish to swim. it's also been working since day 1- actually have black/brown stuff in cup. thats good. but there is no feeding button so we have to unplug it everytime we feed(2 -3 times a day) anyways i'll try and fiddle around with it and see if i can get it to sit up higher on the tank. thanks again everyone

mikesr

I use CPR bakpak on 55 gal. tank.
I've had it for years (3-4), I won't get anything else.
Very easy to use and maintain, quiet, and most impotantly , effective.