What Pump should I buy

Tickyty

I have moved my sump from under my tank to a remote location and the in sump pump is no longer adequate. I have found a couple people willing to sell me an external pump but I am having trouble finding information on some of them, thus this post.

The first is a ReeFlo Blackfin up to 3600gph for $125. I can not find this model listed anywhere anyone have a clue?

The next is an IwakI MC40rt for $75.

The last is a Panworld 50PX for $125.

The sump will be approximately 30 feet from the DT.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good questions from Devon. As for pumps I loved my pan world. Til I broke it.

........wet floors add character.

ChrisOaty

All three of those brands are great and I've heard good things about them. I'm partial to the reeflo but that model doesn't ring any bells either. Probably a much older model, and at that price...I might stay away from it. I've seen 1 year old darts and snappers go for as little as 50-100 bucks depending on the age/wear on them. External's the way to go if you have the room as they're much more efficient. Whatever you do plan on buying, unless it's bran new, buy 2 sets of replacement seals for a used pump. You'll never be sure how old the current seal on it is and I'd suggest replacing it for peace of mind. Always keep a spare one on hand too.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Devon is on the right track... we need to know a lot more to even start to help you.

How many feet from lowest point (pump) up into aquarium? (Head Height)

How much water are you wanting to move in gph?

What size plumbing are you running?

Built347

I can say that 3600gph is a TON of water... my 36 runs up 12' and I have it gated back to 50% flow... unless this tank is absolutely enormous or is 30' vertical to the sump I don't think a 36 is necessary having used one myself.... I think that pump is probably more for pond fountains... lol. Big ones.. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think that pump is probably more for pond fountains... lol. Big ones.. :)

Like these?

fountain%20with%20lights-2s.jpg

Bahrain-fountain.gif

Tickyty

Thanks for the replies. Everything is in my basement. The vertical rise is 5' at most. I have a 90 gal reef ready corner over flow tank with 1" bulk heads reduced down to 3/4" at the bulk head located in the left rear floor. Running 1" line to the bulk head. I don't know how much flow I need I just know the Rio I have is not enough. I know I can always dial it back but you can't turn it up once you have it maxxed out.

90 Gallon Tank.jpg

Last edited:

Built347

The brand of pump is debatable.. I like danner mags.. I'm sure others will chime in... i think a 1200gph would be perfect for u tho..

Tickyty

The brand of pump is debatable.. I like danner mags.. I'm sure others will chime in... i think a 1200gph would be perfect for u tho..

Now are you saying 1200 gph actual or rated? I know that the ratings don't translate into what you get.

Built347

The danner 12 doesn't lose but a hundred or so up 5'.... I'm not sure about other pumps.. I'm very happy with my danners.. I've heard good things about the pump Tom just posted too...

dmatt88

Or go mag 18. You can always throttle it back.

........wet floors add character.

mcarroll

I have moved my sump from under my tank to a remote location and the in sump pump is no longer adequate.

[pumps...pumps...pumps cart in front of horse ;) ]

The sump will be approximately 30 feet from the DT.

Three to four times your tank volume turned over through your sump (with skimmer flowing about the same) are considered ideal flow numbers for most circumstances, but of course YMMV. 90 gallons * 4 times turnover = 350-400 gph. (In-tank flow from 20 to 80 times is recommended. 90 * 80 = 7200 gph)

My guess is that those pumps you listed are all overkill by a factor of many for your 90 gallon tank, but I could be wrong depending on the installation. I know you've said the pump is in the basement, but 30 feet sounds like two and a half stories down??? Can you post a simple diagram of how the plumbing will need to run from the sump, between the floors, to the tank, so we can see what direction all those 30 feet go? This is significant to the flow any pump will be able to provide. For reference, I am familiar with a 180 with a 110 gallon sump almost right below the tank in the basement and a Reeflo Hammerhead is more than sufficient balled back to 50%. That's senseless overkill, IMO. I'm also not a fan of external pumps with seals (Reeflo and similar - direct drive pumps) as the seals seem to fail with alarming frequency by comparison with better mag-drive pumps I'm familiar with (Iwaki-style externals, all submersibles, etc). Sometimes they are necessary though, so I would recommend a Dolphin brand with their top-rated seal if you end up having to go that route.

Another option, I really like this pump, I was running the 10000 on a distrabution powering everything needing flow in my tank. Good luck how ever you go!

CV-HY-7000W Premium Aquatics - CV-HY-7000W Aquarium Supplies

At only 12' maximum head (shut-off), I'm not sure this pump will have any "oomph" left once the water gets to the tank even if the sump is directly below the tank one floor down - let alone if it's 30' as the OP stated. Even their largest model has a shut-off of only 16'.

Let's see a diagram if possible, Tickyty, and that will help everyone make a good recommendation for you! :)

-Matt