Replacing MH bulbs for the first time.

brandon

Don't forget to add a couple of layers of window screen over the top of your fishtank. Your new bulb will put out more par and spectrum and might bleach your corals. Slowly over the next few weeks start removing the layers of screen.

Don't forget to add a couple of layers of window screen over the top of your fishtank. Your new bulb will put out more par and spectrum and might bleach your corals. Slowly over the next few weeks start removing the layers of screen.

how many layers? any suggestions on how to do this? just set the screen on top?

DaveK

With MH bulbs, you may just need to replace the bulb. Unlike the various flourescent bulbs, MH don't change as much over time. So unless you really let the original bulbs go for far too long, you might be ok just replaceing them.

It's tough to get an exac number for layers of window screens. Ideally you could use a light meter, and measure the change, but few of us have those. What I'd do is replace the bulbs and see how the tank looks. If it's about the same you'll be fine. If it's a lot brighter or the colors look different, add layers of screen until the tank more or less matches what you had. I doubt you'll need more than 2 layers.

brandon

2-3 layers like Dave saidd watch the corals after the bulb change to make sure corals don't start to bleach

With MH bulbs, you may just need to replace the bulb. Unlike the various flourescent bulbs, MH don't change as much over time. So unless you really let the original bulbs go for far too long, you might be ok just replaceing them.

If they dont change why do we replace them?

Willie McDaries

anywhere from 8 to 12 months is what most people strive for,I usually try to replace mine at least once a year,I have 4 over my tank,I try to replace 2 every 6 months to help avoid the light shock from all new bulbs...but to be honest,I can't look at my tank and tell the difference between a brand new bulb and 1 that is 1 year old...

I did read an article once that a MH bulb still had about 70% of its par even after 18 months of normal usage

mcarroll

If you're running magnetic ballasts (what make/model?) then I'd suggest running Radium bulbs. Not cheap, but the best looking bulb/ballast combo out there IMO. (They run bluer with an electronic balast...not my preference.)

$87 is the cheapest I've seen em. (Good place to deal with too.)

Also, I wouldn't worry about screen. Just cut the hours back to 3-4 per day for a day or two and up the time by an hour or so every day. Never had a problem doing it this way.

My experience is also that replacing bulbs every 6-9 months is better than less frequently. If your lights are on for around 6 hours per day, you might get closer to 9 months. If your lights are on for 8+ hours every day, you're better off changing at 6 months.

Good luck!

-Matt

Uslanja

We change our MH every nine months and place three layers of black nylon window screen over the tank and then remove 1 layer per week. Has worked well for us. We tried the 14K bulbs and then went to the 20K Radium. We love the look, the colour and the shimmer! But, if I'm not mistaken, adding some good quality blue LED's will go a long way towards making coral colours pop more than the daylights will. But then I could be wrong!?

aj41568

I just got those bulbs and really like them, they have a blue tint but not overwhelming. My corals really seem to be liking them too.