Search results

1. MatthewJ

power outage

You mean you have a GFCI circuit? As I understand it, the battery backup would only supply power if you lost your electric. So the device would have to fail during an outage...a pretty small window with a typical battery backup. However, I think you're right...the GFCI would not function...
  2. MatthewJ

power outage

Thanks for the information, very informative. So let me throw a scenario at you...maybe you have some nerds in a backroom somewhere that can do the maths:) Let's say I have the PowerPack 400. I have a 100W backup heater and a power head that is rated at 4.5W. Let's say the heater is set a...
  3. MatthewJ

power outage

So last night we had a 2 hour power outage and finally decided that I might need a backup plan. I want something automatic, but I think that's going to be a problem with the RSM "single plug" design. I only want to power a pump or two and the heater (certainly don't want the lights on). How...
  4. MatthewJ

The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

I'll see if I can find it...if nothing else his writing is always humorous :D
  5. MatthewJ

I manually add water every day after work. It drops about 1/5 of an inch each day due to evaporation. Lowering the water in the display simply lowers the level in the back to a point where no skimmate makes it up the cup at all. The surface skimmer lowers the level in the back even more, at...
  6. MatthewJ

actually, I removed mine yesterday. I keep my display water level quite high (about even with the trim) and it really does nothing when the water level is that high because the teeth are below the surface. All in all, I get more consistent skimmer performance without it installed. I think I can...
  7. MatthewJ

free tank, my Journey info reefkeeping

small update. the frogspawn and ricordea are new. the monti hispada is finally starting to overgrow the plug: The birds nest is actually starting to look like a birds nest: Here's my new frogspawn. traded for a piece of the green slimer: Here's some ricordea, also traded (with some...
  8. MatthewJ

Air Bubbles

I will second that raising your water level in the display might help with the bubbles and will almost certainly help with skimmer output. I don't get much from my skimmer unless my water level is right at the level of the trim. What is the water level relative to the return pumps? It should be...
  9. MatthewJ

Wilko's RSM

very nice Paul. It's great to see how it went from an algae farm to such a nice looking reef tank. That's a series of pictures that shows what a lot of us went through (well, some of us are still working on the last pic).
  10. MatthewJ

Remove or replace ceramic bio material?

IMHO, no need to replace the ceramic media. As far as water level, have you tried simply raising the water level in the display area? Also, do you have the overflow grate all the way down?
  11. MatthewJ

The RSM Adventure

reefmack - I know how you can fix that :yup: I think they call that a coral mill...perhaps a raid is in order. Who's with me?
  12. MatthewJ

same here. I'm having a real tough time getting and keeping the water level in the back up where it needs to be. So far, it seems more finicky than without a surface skimmer. That back compartment is just flippin' magic. One minute the water at the top and then poof, it's an inch below the...
  13. MatthewJ

Green Star Polyps

I actually just read a post on this site where a copperband butterfly was nipping at a GSP and caused it to stop opening up. We have a suspect:). I'll try to find the post. edit: can't find the post. maybe it was another site?
  14. MatthewJ

Hello I am new to reefs but excited about Zoanthids

hate to say it, but lots of folks are getting out of the reef hobby right now. Join some local reef clubs and keep an eye out for people selling everything. You should be able to get some really nice frags for dirt cheap.
  15. MatthewJ

new to all this

:welcomera seriously...stop going to that fish store. I wouldn't even trust their tests. Before you buy a fish, do some research on it on the Internet. A simple google search will usually do. I've found the site Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums a...
  16. MatthewJ

Looking to buy a RSM 130D

that's too big of a CUC IMHO. I would try this site it has TONS of information: ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home the other really nice thing you can do on their site is fill out a form and they will tell you want to get.
  17. MatthewJ

55W versus 65W Coralife

Okay, the 65 W bulbs are now OUT. I don't think they're any better (and probably worse, but that's total speculation) than the 55W.There is definitely more of the actinic, but I believe that's because I have one dedicated actinic. I can't get my hands on a PAR meter. Here's my thoughts: the...
  18. MatthewJ

Dustin's RSM 130!!!!

you people and yer fancy metal halides with yer fancy frags:) I'm very jealous and I'm seriously considering getting one of them outer orbit kits. waiting for pics...:lisa::lurk:
  19. MatthewJ

Skimmer & water changes

do you have a sump or something? With the stock RSM you would turn off all the pumps off to do a water change. 5 gallons per week should be fine, that's in the 10-15% range. Are you sure that something in the process isn't causing the water level in the back to change significantly?
  20. MatthewJ

problem with new surface skimmer

hmmm...I'll have to keep an eye on this. Interesting idea putting media in the box. How do you keep it from plugging the grate?