Skimmer & water changes

turbiville

I do a weekly 5 gallon water change, and almost as soon as I am done, the skimmer cup is full. It can fill up 3 or more times. I started to worry that it was pulling out some of the minerals & nutrients that the fresh saltwater is replenishing, so I now shut off the skimmer until morning after a water change.

I thought someone here would know for sure if that is the case and if I am doing the right thing by leaving it off.

Cheers,

~C

Rue

I thought the salt mix contained minerals, and that the protein skimmer removed proteins...

...but I wasn't paying that much attention...lol...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Which skimmer are you using ? Is the skimmer removing just clear water or dark skimmate ? Is this an in-sump skimmer or external ? If it is an in-sump skimmer when you do the water change does the water level in the sump change at all ?

I thought the salt mix contained minerals, and that the protein skimmer removed proteins...

It does remove nutrients including uneaten fish food, trace elements, heavy metals as well as secondary metabolites from soft corals, bacteria, macro- and micro-planktons, coral eggs and sperm and other similar compounds.

turbiville

Which skimmer are you using ? Is the skimmer removing just clear water or dark skimmate ? Is this an in-sump skimmer or external ? If it is an in-sump skimmer when you do the water change does the water level in the sump change at all ?

It does remove nutrients including uneaten fish food, trace elements, heavy metals as well as secondary metabolites from soft corals, bacteria, macro- and micro-planktons, coral eggs and sperm and other similar compounds.

It's clear with a little foam.

I'm using the stock RSM skimmer.

Rue

Good to know...so a skimmer removes proteins, plus trace minerals, plus heavy metals...

VP Clown

what salt are you using, I'm sure i've read that some salts have an additive that can make the skimmer over skim for a while after water change,
Another point is that I think that 5 gallons per week water change is a lot, I do between 10 litres per week and once a month 20 litres, I was always told little and often is best HTH Mind you I'm from the UK and just thinking, are US gallons smaller than imperial

MatthewJ

and almost as soon as I am done

do you have a sump or something? With the stock RSM you would turn off all the pumps off to do a water change.

5 gallons per week should be fine, that's in the 10-15% range. Are you sure that something in the process isn't causing the water level in the back to change significantly?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
VP Clown:

1 Imperial Gallon = 4.5461 liters (l)
1 liter (l) = 0.2200 Imperial Gallons
1 US Gallon = 3.7854 liters (l)
1 liter (l) = 0.2642 US gallons
1 Imperial Gallon = 1.2009 US Gallons
1 US Gallon = 0.8327 Imperial Gallons

turbiville

I'm using Tropic-Marin reef salt. I do turn the pumps & skimmer off, the over skimming happens when I turn it back on. Maybe I just need to wait a few hours and extend the skimmer tube.