The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

marine281

I'm a bit concerned that the surface skimmer may upset my level in the back, that now stays consistently at the same high level (right up to the top of the pumps) due to the Lifereef overflow keeping the display and back at a constant high level. Anyone running the Lifereef overflow in conjunction with the surface skimmer?

It works even better, the life reef overflow sets the level in the back, and the surface skimmer sets the level in the display.
You want to run the surface skimmer at its higest level to get a good "suction" going, and the LR overflow at its lowest setting. If the levels are the same, then it won't do its job correctly.

Here's a Video of mine running:
P3060039_WMVV9.flv video by rsm281 - Photobucket

Not the best quality, but you get the idea :)

w00t

Hi!

the new surface skimmer does the job perfectly.But even it clears the surface very well , it does not clear the other wastes floating in the tank.This is maybe because just clearing the surface.Anyone has the same problem?Or have a solution ?
I don't have mine yet but I have also been wondering the same thing. Seems to me that it won't pull in floating debris nearly as well.

:dunno:

nornicle

I don't have mine yet but I have also been wondering the same thing. Seems to me that it won't pull in floating debris nearly as well.

:dunno:

As long as it's pulling water from the tank it will also have floating debris in it won't it?

Whipitup

If you take a look at other reef tanks with under tank sumps the water is pulled from the main tank via a down-pipe which is separated from the main tank with an enclosure.

The only way the water has to get to the down-pipe is through the toothed section at the top of the enclosure.......a well proven method.....and very similar to the way the surface skimmer seems to work on the RSM.

So although I've not received my Surface skimmer yet I'm expecting it to work very well.

w00t

Well everyone says it works great, so I hope mine arrives soon. I did see one in person today on a display tank, and like others the word huge came to mind.

MatthewJ

actually, I removed mine yesterday. I keep my display water level quite high (about even with the trim) and it really does nothing when the water level is that high because the teeth are below the surface. All in all, I get more consistent skimmer performance without it installed. I think I can mod it to go higher, but not sure yet how the will impact the lower part of the grate. I planned to keep it installed and just raise it up once a day to clean the surface...but it seemed to still impact the skimmer. I'll leave it completely off for a few days to make sure I'm not just crazy.

redsea reefer

MATTHEWJ- raise the surface skimmer all the way up, then down about 1/4 in. If the top of the teeth are not breaking the surface, then take a little water out and make sure the water in the filter compartment is a 1/4 in below the water level in the main display. Try that out and check the water level in the filter comparment every day cause it evap's quick.

MatthewJ

MATTHEWJ- raise the surface skimmer all the way up, then down about 1/4 in. If the top of the teeth are not breaking the surface, then take a little water out and make sure the water in the filter compartment is a 1/4 in below the water level in the main display. Try that out and check the water level in the filter comparment every day cause it evap's quick.

I manually add water every day after work. It drops about 1/5 of an inch each day due to evaporation. Lowering the water in the display simply lowers the level in the back to a point where no skimmate makes it up the cup at all. The surface skimmer lowers the level in the back even more, at least on my tank.

I'm pretty sure I can mod the surface skimmer to allow it to work properly at higher display water levels, but I'm thinking it will still probably lower the water level in the back further than if I didn't have it. But it still might work.

redsea reefer

I manually add water every day after work. It drops about 1/5 of an inch each day due to evaporation. Lowering the water in the display simply lowers the level in the back to a point where no skimmate makes it up the cup at all. The surface skimmer lowers the level in the back even more, at least on my tank.

I'm pretty sure I can mod the surface skimmer to allow it to work properly at higher display water levels, but I'm thinking it will still probably lower the water level in the back further than if I didn't have it. But it still might work.

read whipitup's alternative surface skimmer review. thats how i have mine... maybe it will work for you too...

Peanut

I think a nice mod would be to have longer grooves in the teeth of the skimmer. A suggestion to RSM is to have the surface skimmer rise and fall with the water level so it is alway set to the right height and the protein skimmer will be a peek performance always. I this would also cut down on the bubbles becuase the water in the back will be consistent. Just some thoughts.

steveh

Thanks for the thoughts. I have passed this on to r&d. I believe we had a similar thought when we did the development. I guess one risk is if the system failed you could have the surface skimmer stranded too high and starve the system of water. Obviously is also would add significant cost.

alphasierra

I just received mine and am looking forward to getting home to try it out.
I found it strange that the instructions suggest to remove the white filter floss?? Any thoughts on why? I currently just use the filter floss and not the black foam.

redsea reefer

I just received mine and am looking forward to getting home to try it out.
I found it strange that the instructions suggest to remove the white filter floss?? Any thoughts on why? I currently just use the filter floss and not the black foam.

I'm pretty sure it means the fine white filter pad not filter floss

steveh

It does indeed mean the white felt pad. Every tank is different so go with whatever works for you. Generally we advise using the black foam, and then using the felt pad only for short term polishing of the water, as it is designed to block quickly. It is therefore not intended for continual use. However, as with so many things there is not only one correct way.