Air Bubbles

baxter

Can anyone give me some assistance on some air bubbles.Both pumps now and then give out bursts of thousands of air bubbles.How do i stop this??And also do any of you guys know how to keep algae to a minimum or to keep it away?
Cheers.

Reddog170

Now that is a lot. Ok the bubbles are most common from how water gets to the sump. If it is creating a lot of bubbles getting in the sump the most likely bubbles will find there way back to you tank. Also check you fittings, I had a loose one that was not leaking water but was letting air in. Algae need nutrients. So to control algae control the nutrients they need, primarily phosfates and nitrates. There are some ways to get rid of phosfates like using phosban or the like. Also good RO/DI water will be free of phosfates. Nitrates can be reduced through water changes. The way to know what nitrates you reduced your tank by is simple, Say you do a 25% water change then you also reduced your nitrates by 25%. Just make sure that you are keeping a high quality of water in your system and most things will take care of themselves. Shaun

baxter

The water level where the pumps are seems to be down..how do i raise it again?I cleared the black foam filter on the skimmer but it didn't work.Do i have to remove the pumps to get to the filters to see if they are restricting the flow.

Reddog170

Well how long has it been sense you did a top off? The reason I ask is that the first place you will notice a level change is at the pump. I know that if I do not do top offs everyday then the second day the water level will be low enough that the pump will draw air and create micro bubbles.

baxter

What is the correct water level? i run mine about 5mm or 1/4 just under the black moulding. Is the ok?

baxter

What is the correct water level? i run mine about 5mm or 1/4 just under the black moulding. Is that ok?

Reddog170

Ok I need to step back for just one moment here. Can you tell me a little more about your system? Are you running a sump? What size display tank? how is the plumbing done? are you using any HOB stuff? What about an overflow? Pics would help too. Cause if you are running water almost right to the rim of the tank then it should be high enough. I know on my system that the DT mantains the same level all the time. The level changes are noticed in the pump end of my sump. Shaun

paulwilko

I run my water level so i can se the hood hinges in the water. Based on what you said, yours is a lot lower, so i would raise it.

Take any of the media out o fthe back and replace with some LR rubble if you can.
Cut the black sponge in half and throw the rest away and that should hopefully sort your bubbles out

good luck

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reddog170 - this is in the Red Sea Max forum - a 34G all in one tank.

baxter - If you haven't read it yet, check out the RSM microbubble thread - you might get some help reading that one. How new is the tank? Do the bubbles decrease with the skimmer off? If they aren't skimmer related then they're most likely related to the water level in the back section.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...b/38826-microbubbles-your-rsm-check-here.html

You may find some answers in that thread.

Reddog170

I do apolgize. I missed that this was a RSM. I still think that water level has a lot to do with it though. Best of luck, Shaun

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reddog170 - no apologies necessary - it happens a lot. And you're correct - water level has a lot to do with it in this tank!

MatthewJ

I will second that raising your water level in the display might help with the bubbles and will almost certainly help with skimmer output. I don't get much from my skimmer unless my water level is right at the level of the trim. What is the water level relative to the return pumps? It should be maybe 1/4" below the level of the pumps.

baxter

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info,I filled the tank up and it did reduce the air bubbles.The only issue i have is i 'am running a stock skimmer and the tank has been going now for about 6 x weeks and the cup has'nt filled up yet,is the normal?or is there an adjustment to speed the skimming process up.

steveh

Stick with the skimmer and at least give it 3-4 months. ANy skimmer will take time to "bed in", and although many people (especially in the USA) have replaced their skimmer with another, most people who are patient find that it works really well. Obviously as the tank matures, the proteins available for extraction will increase.

mzreenie

Are you using the stock ceramic media in the back chamber? Have you taken out the ceramic media and rinsed it in salt water since you set up your tank? If the media gets too dirty, then you will have more microbubbles.