The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

nornicle

Just a heads up for Australians, apparently they aren't here yet and won't be here since the focus isn't on the 130... I checked with my local LFS.

GG for living on the wrong end of the world....

snake plissken

anybody got a pic of the surface skimmer installed that they can post?

reefmack - the avatar is back in business!!!
i hope you can recognize me now :)

mrfishy

blimey
one of my old favorite films was it escape from new york ??
can take a photo of mine in the morning if thats any good, my lights are all out as its 10-30 at night in uk
cheers
mrfishy

jb673

Folks;
Received the skimmer update from Red Sea today-will install tommorow & update-Take Care All.
Jerry

tyleratl

I've been having trouble getting my surface skimmer set up just right. If I set it up with the water level close to the top of the skimmer teeth, I get excellent protein skimming but poor surface skimming. If I raise the surface skimmer up some, it does pull in the surface scum much better but lowers the water level in the filter compartment, which sort of defeats the purpose. For those of you that have the perfect balance, could you show me a picture or describe where your water levels are in relation to the new surface skimmer teeth?

Whipitup

I've been having trouble getting my surface skimmer set up just right. If I set it up with the water level close to the top of the skimmer teeth, I get excellent protein skimming but poor surface skimming. If I raise the surface skimmer up some, it does pull in the surface scum much better but lowers the water level in the filter compartment, which sort of defeats the purpose. For those of you that have the perfect balance, could you show me a picture or describe where your water levels are in relation to the new surface skimmer teeth?

Weird............it sounds like you have to old 130, without the new surface skimmer!!!

tyleratl

Weird............it sounds like you have to old 130, without the new surface skimmer!!!

I do have an old 130, but WITH the new surface skimmer. I have tried moving the box up and down and either get so much flow that the surface skimming isn't strong enough or not enough to fill the filter compartment to the level needed for optimum protein skimming.

MatthewJ

same here. I'm having a real tough time getting and keeping the water level in the back up where it needs to be. So far, it seems more finicky than without a surface skimmer. That back compartment is just flippin' magic. One minute the water at the top and then poof, it's an inch below the skimmer top. I'm not giving up on it yet, but it's really starting to aggravate me.

mrfishy

hi guys
mine took a couple of weeks to settle down for some reason
i run the box right at the top and the water is almost at the top of the teeth,
the water going through the weir is almost at the top so you cant see a gap but you can see a definite flow through it. the water in the back section is about 1/4 inch off the rim where the skimmer sits. the surface stays clear and skimmer works much better than before the box was put in
the levels stay like this through the week until i do my water changes, as i use a chiller i have very little if any evaporation.
hope this helps
mrfishy

VP Clown

It's just a matter of volume, if you are raising the level in the display side, then you will lower the level in the filter side, you only have xx gallons, just add more water until you have the level in both sides that meet your needs.
HTH Andy

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Surfnut, Snake - correct!

I ordered the surface skimmer this weekend. All of the places that had them at $25 were out of stock (no surprise) so I paid the $30 at Marine Depot. I also ordered the chiller hookup to use with my sump return for a nicer setup in back.

I'm a bit concerned that the surface skimmer may upset my level in the back, that now stays consistently at the same high level (right up to the top of the pumps) due to the Lifereef overflow keeping the display and back at a constant high level. Anyone running the Lifereef overflow in conjunction with the surface skimmer?

Last edited:

snake plissken

Surfnut, Snake - correct!

I ordered the surface skimmer this weekend. All of the places that had them at $25 were out of stock (no surprise) so I paid the $30 at Marine Depot. I also ordered the chiller hooup to use with my sump return for a nicer setup in back.

I'm a bit concerned that the surface skimmer may upset my level in the back, that now stays consistently at the same high level (right up to the top of the pumps) due to the Lifereef overflow keeping the display and back at a constant high level. Anyone running the Lifereef overflow in conjunction with the surface skimmer?

not to get too far off-topic, but how do you like the "chiller hookup"? I have a marineland canister filter and the tubes are just kinda stuck in the back through the chiller port now. i hate the look of it (even though its in the back) and was thinking about getting the new hookup. is it easy to install?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi snake - I probably won't get the chiller pipe adapter till end of week or next week, but those that have it seem to really like it. My sump return is a black plastic u-tube type thing stuck through the chiller access port, and it's not the most secure thing. I guess for you a lot would depend on whether or not the hookup for the tubing would match up with the cannister tubing size. The info. says it's designed for 5/8" pipes.

Accessory Kit

AG1

Hi!

the new surface skimmer does the job perfectly.But even it clears the surface very well , it does not clear the other wastes floating in the tank.This is maybe because just clearing the surface.Anyone has the same problem?Or have a solution ?