Wilko's RSM

paulwilko

Hi All

New here

Never kept a fish in my life, but Jan 2008, thought, why not and went the easyish option and got myself an RSM

This is it during the Cycle

file.php

file.php

After a while the dreaded hair algae kicked in. I also added 2 Clowns and a Torch Coral
file.php

A while later, added a Hammer coral, Feather Duster and a ***** Coral ( I think its called )
file.php

Now after a good few months and few changes here is my latest pic from December 2008. Infact it has changed slightly even since this pic
3130074559_645182d7c0_o.jpg

I have had a few ups and downs but generally pretty happy with how things have gone.

A message to anybody thinking of taking this hobby up, it is VERY VERY Expensive and pretty time consuming.
It is all worth it but I dont think any amount of planning can make you aware of the ongoing costs that you have to put up with.

Stock:
Torch Coral
Zoas
Finger Leather
Mushrooms
Hammer Coral
Plating Monty
Bubble Coral
Duncan
Spikey Coral (Cant think of name)
2 x Candy Canes
Favia
2 x Clowns
1 x Green Clown Goby
1 x Randalls Goby
1 x Flasher Wrasse
1 x Red Spot Blennie
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Tuxedo Urchin

Oh well, hope you like it

Paul

MatthewJ

very nice Paul. It's great to see how it went from an algae farm to such a nice looking reef tank. That's a series of pictures that shows what a lot of us went through (well, some of us are still working on the last pic).

paulwilko

Thx for the kind comments

I got a bit lucky with the algae.
I bought an Pistol Shrimp to pair with my Randalls Goby. The LFS wrongly sold the shrimp as a Randals but when I got home after my wife had Acclimatised it, i realised straight away it was not a randalls. After research it turned out to be a Anenome Pistol which very rarely pair with Gobies.
Anyway, had to get it out as it was causing other issues. In the end we had to take out all rock work to get to it which meant we could do a complete rescape.
So I decided to rescape with the hair algae facing downwards and the clean rock showing.
So far (And that was about 6 months back) it has all gone except for 2 patches which i just cant shift !!!!!!

Now I have noticed a red seaweed type algae growing in my Zoas. Any idea what that is ? Its the stringy type not flat type if taht helps

Paul

steveh

Hi Paul- long time eh? Welcome aboard R/Sanctuary. The tank looks beautiful- even better than when I last saw it.

cindyp

its Beautiful Paul now how exactly did you win the battle of the hair alge??
...ThanksCindy

cindyp

Paul hope you don't mind but I used your tank pix as my background.
Great inspiration!!!!!!:yup:

paulwilko

Paul hope you don't mind but I used your tank pix as my background.
Great inspiration!!!!!!:yup:
LOL, not sure why as there are nicer tanks than mine !!!!

Beating the hair algae isnot completed yet as i have 2 patches i just cant get rid off, but to cut a long story short, I turned the LR over !!!!

This was the point where i thought it would never go away !!

3335847686_e46ed5972a_o.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how well Corals grow in the max, this is the Plating monty a couple of weeks after buying it in August last year, so in 6 months its gone from this to how it looks in the main picture above

3129993937_b4338cb005_o.jpg

Thx so much everyone for the nice comments.

I will try and take a more recent shot soon.

Thx again

Paul

AndtheBonus

How did/are you battling your HA? Just curious because I have a pretty big outbreak in my tank and next week I am taking everything out and scrubbing the rocks pretty good...

paulwilko

To be fair, I didnt really battle it. If you read up a little, you will see my story with the Pistol Shrimp which ultimately helped.

All I can advise is to check your Nitrates and I will assume they are high and deal with that
Also, if you check your phosphates there is a high chance they will read pretty much Zero as the HA will be using it all but you can pretty much guarantee there will be plenty of Phosphates, so maybe something like Rowaphos to help get those down.

The main thing to do is pull it out, grab and pull straight out as if you let any go in the water, you will only make things worse.

I am sure you will get to the bottom of it.
I think the important thing is to find the source and deal with that aswell

Good luck

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Paulwilko - very nice indeed! I see you also have an orange Monti cap threatening to to take over the tank! Mine has grown over some corals and is now shading a lot of my rock.

paulwilko

Paulwilko - very nice indeed! I see you also have an orange Monti cap threatening to to take over the tank! Mine has grown over some corals and is now shading a lot of my rock.
Funny you should say that, i have just started to make a little frag rack, its a right bodg job, but should work !!

Gonna frag the lower one though as it is hampering the torch i believe

Thx for nice comment

Paul