power outage

MatthewJ

So last night we had a 2 hour power outage and finally decided that I might need a backup plan. I want something automatic, but I think that's going to be a problem with the RSM "single plug" design. I only want to power a pump or two and the heater (certainly don't want the lights on). How are other RSM owners handling power outages?

I am considering using the following:

Xantrex PowerSource 400

Outages have typically been a couple hours max.

I'm thinking I could plug a Koralia #1, a small air pump, and a smaller 100W heater. Using the totally unscientific method of tallying up the wattage and comparing to vendor stated runtimes, I'm guessing that it would last at least 3 hours.

brucewrs

The heater will use up the battery back up really fast.Takes alot of power to run the heater.I would just use the battery back up on a pump.Living in South Florida I dont even have a heater in my tank.

powerguru

MatthewJ -

You are certainly on the right track. A battery backup unit is the most cost effective method of providing a back-up plan. However, as with all battery backup solutions, your overall run-time is limited due to the size of the battery.

The xPower 400 is a good choice and will switch over to provide backup power immediately when the power goes out. This switch over happens within milli-seconds and without intervention from you, thus, you do not need to be home when the power goes out.

In a subsequent follow-up, brucewrs mentioned that the heater will use up the battery back up really fast. He is correct, thus your backup plan should only provide backup for those items that are "Critical" to your tanks survival in the short run. For a long term survival plan, ie several days or weeks of operational run-time, you will need a backup supply with a continuous supply of electricity, ie a, gasoline, propane or natural gas generator. However, for short power outages, a battery based backup plan is ideal and if sized properly, this unit may extend operation for hours if not a day or two.

Depending on your budget and your run-time requirements, there are (3) systems I would recommend, that are setup to operate out of the box.

The Xantrex xPower PowerPack 400
The Xantrex xPower PowerPack 1800
The Xantrex PowerHub 1800

The first two units come with an integrated battery, however, you are unable to add additional batteries to the unit to increase or extend your run-times. This may or may not be necessary, depending on your overall wattage and run-time requirements.

The last unit includes two batteries and is capable of adding additional batteries, thus increasing your run-time.

I would be happy to further discuss these systems in full and to further assist you in implementing the proper choice for backup plan.

Norm Cotrona
Alta Power Corp
866-373-9665

MatthewJ

Thanks for the information, very informative.

So let me throw a scenario at you...maybe you have some nerds in a backroom somewhere that can do the maths:)

Let's say I have the PowerPack 400. I have a 100W backup heater and a power head that is rated at 4.5W. Let's say the heater is set a little lower than the normal heater. So in our scenario, it kicks on about 1 hour after the power outage. About how long will my runtime be (Assume that once on, the heater stays on)?

r1200GSA

Hi all,

I have a question regarding backup power.

I am using a circuit breaker for all electrics to my RSM (as we all are I am sure!) - anyway, if we use a battery backedup device, which will of course be inline with the electricity supply - what happens if we have a pump or heater that suddenly electrifies? Will we/livestock get electrocuted because we always have constant power supply to the tank water due to the battery back up?

If you see what I mean? I could be asking a dumb question - so appologies for that.

Will.

MatthewJ

You mean you have a GFCI circuit? As I understand it, the battery backup would only supply power if you lost your electric. So the device would have to fail during an outage...a pretty small window with a typical battery backup. However, I think you're right...the GFCI would not function during an outage. You can purchase GFCI adapters and strips that will plug into the battery backup and viola!...GFCI again.