Search results

1. tommyp

nano hood pics

Whats a few years in between posts!
  2. tommyp

Anybody use rancos?

Going away for a bit and my aquacntroller is being a little flakey I bought a ranco to replace it. I was wondering if people water-proof the probe? Anybody got a ranco? tom
  3. tommyp

My New Tank

Hey thanks guys. it is getting there. things aren't so hot with the sps. I have added some large colonies due to local people getting out of the hobby offloading stuff and most have not faired well. I think I am having issues with keeping the alk stable. just have to tweek the calcium...
  4. tommyp

Yarr's 100G Reef Project

Drill a small hole at the top of the piping just under the water level this will work to break the syphon. I did this on my tank. I have a 1/4" hole or maybe a little smaller it doesn't take much. It is on a big return so it really shoots a little jet out the hole. or Put a check valve in...
  5. tommyp

144 half circle

How do you like it? They are setting one up at a local store and the distortion due to the bent glass is a little wacky. Super cool footprint. it would be neat to place it between two doors or something.
  6. tommyp

180 circulation advice

You could always drill the holes and plug them. Then add the CL later if need be. it wouldn't hurt.
  7. tommyp

180 circulation advice

Thanks the tank is starting to shape up. I got the 3200 I think. I got it used off andy at mrc it is this one. If you are thinking of going that way I have been thinking I would upsize to the next larger one add a mechanical ballvalve and remove my streams. So I could be persuaded to part with...
  8. tommyp

180 circulation advice

I would just use penductors and a sequence for the return and your tunze. you would have plenty of flow and it wouldn't be nearly as obtrusive as the three tunzes. It would be around $450 if you got everything new. The eductors put alot of back pressure on the pump so it cuts the flow through...
  9. tommyp

180 circulation advice

It all depends. for sps double it. If you want a flowy softy tank then somewhere in between Call me crazy but the 1100 from the sump will do very little in a 180. I had the sequence which does twice that and it hardly did anything until the eductors. The tunze will move some water so that is...
  10. tommyp

180 circulation advice

For sps eductors and a medium to high head pump. run two eductors at each end. nothing moves water like them. You could run four one at each corner and a three-way mechanical ball valve to switch between two of them. It is a lot of money. But they take up a little less room than streams and you...
  11. tommyp

my new nanocube

Aquacontroller jrs are nice at controlling temp and other things. A little pricey but they can keep your temp really stable. I am running a bad heater with mine right now and it keeps it in check nicely. though I don't recommend doing this. you can also get a ranco dual temp controller and run a...
  12. tommyp

My New Tank

Two lumenmax's they work pretty nice. makes it kinda hard to put anything else in there.
  13. tommyp

Strongest pump for NC 24gal DX?

I would say a maxi jet 900 isn't the limit. it all depends on what you are going to keep and how well you can spread the flow. Is the pump going to be in tank? I used to run an AC 820 I believe in a 5.5. it was a little much but it again all depends on what your doing. flow is complex...
  14. tommyp

chromis spawn?

Yeah it is really funky huh.
  15. tommyp

chromis spawn?

I have the latest mac version of quicktime that has some newer codecs that might not play in the windows versions. I am glad the avi works. Tom
  16. tommyp

chromis spawn?

Try http://www.preska.net/movies/chromis.avi
  17. tommyp

chromis spawn?

it is in quicktime. Do you have quicktime? Tom
  18. tommyp

chromis spawn?

Here you go Chromis Swim
  19. tommyp

chromis spawn?

I have a chromis that is rubbing its belly on the back wall of my aquarium. going in circles. I have 5 chromis in my tank and every 30 secs or so another will come over and swim in contact with it in circles than swim away. Its pretty crazy. I'll try to take a video on the dig cam. Tom
  20. tommyp

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

Any ich updates?